1 Extreme vs 2 Expresses for WiFi Extension

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jdag, Sep 7, 2014.

1. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am in need of some ethernet ports in my basement. Currently I have a Time Capsule on my 2nd floor as the primary router, with an Express on my 1st floor and an Express in my basement as extenders.

I am considering replacing the 2 Express units with a single Extreme unit. The thought would be that the Extreme has gigabit Ethernet ports and would negate the need for a switch. It would also provide me with 1 extension to my WiFi network vs the current 2 extensions.

I don't need the AirPlay features of the Expresses. Would the change to an Extreme be an overall positive to my network?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I donated my extreme. I grew tired of the limitations of airport utility and wanted the ability to set up my own vpn if I wanted to. Still I must admit AEBS was one of the best routers I ever had. What I do now is I have dedicated access points and a single 24 port gigabit switch. With very few exceptions, all wires go back to that switch. Sure I had to spend some time stringing wire but I get excellent network performance and trouble-free streaming in any room. Then I downloaded and used an Android app (also available on jailbroken iOS) called Wifi analyzer. I walked around the house documenting dead spots. I then ran wires to those locations an put in dedicated access points. What I use are D-link DAP 1522 access points. Better models are available today. I have no dead spots and can browse the internet via wifi in every room and in my yard from the patio to the driveway. No dead spots.

For me one access point went under the far west end of the house in the basement and the other went in an upstairs bedroom near the far east end of the house. The main router is in the center of the basement. This arrangement works so well I was able to keep a wifi signal up on a ladder at my roof line using a wifi app to monitor tv signal strength from my ethernet tv to aim my mohu sky antenna.

In short there is nothing wrong with using Airport Express as an access point or as a repeater. Though I did have one of the older "large brick" models overheat and take down my home network, hence my move to d-link. There is nothing wrong with using an AEBS to "extend" the network created by the first AEBS but less expensive options are available. I like being to set up or tweak my network settings from any web browser and not just from airport utility. I like having more settings even if I don't use them. While there is nothing inherently wrong with Apple routers, my setup with third party (Asus and Dlink) hardware works well enough and allows me more flexibility for those few times I happen to need it.