1 GB of RAM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wide opeN, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Suprised that no one is talking more about this with the new iPad.

For you owners who have opened yours (I haven't yet), do you notice the DOUBLING of RAM making any perceivable difference!?

Discuss!!!

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Not really. Maybe Safari keeps more Tabs open without reloading, but the difference (if any) isnt't noticable.

3. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yes it makes a noticeable difference. My opened Safari tabs are kept much longer, even after playing a big game like Real Racing HD 2. Too many times on the iPad 2, such as when flipping between tabs when in the middle of ordering something, the tab gets refreshed and I'd have to enter all the info again. Should be much less of an occurrence on the iPad 3 with 1GB of RAM.

4. laokai macrumors member

Well, I upgraded from the iPad 1, so it's a quadrupling for me! And yes, I notice a HUGE difference. For me, the speed upgrade was even more important than the graphics.

5. Gibbage macrumors newbie

Another iPad 1 upgrader, it's like night and day. Fantastic product.

6. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Well, these last two post have me especially excited, as I too am coming from the original iPad.

My Speck Case finally came in the mail today, so I can finally open my baby tonight!!!

Yes sir, it's time to get the party started for me!!!!!:cool:

7. big samm macrumors 65816

Yup I'm from the original iPad and I can tell there's a noticeable speed increase and my safari tabs stays almost intact!

8. bill-p macrumors 65832

If you don't run any game, then yes, the 1GB RAM does keep more apps open, more tabs in Safari, and it makes a very noticeable difference with Safari especially when you go back to a tab after a while. The iPad 2 would hesitate and sometimes show white blank space where it hasn't finished rendering the page, but the iPad 3 zips along a lot smoother.

9. rd261 macrumors regular

Coming from the original iPad as well. Huge difference. My iPad 1 was collecting dust since I got the macbook air, now that I got the new iPad I haven't touched the air since Friday. :cool:

10. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Definitely noticeable coming from the original iPad. My safari tabs have not reloaded once yet. Also, everything just feels snappier.

11. batotman macrumors 6502

+1000 improvement from the iPad 1. Or at least +768! :D

No more reloading tabs. No more constant crashing due to memory issues. The only website I've found that crashes my new iPad is TMZ and that's a site I might look at twice a year.

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Coming from the iPad 1 it's a really good upgrade. After my battery ran down the other night, I grabbed the 1 to continue reading for a bit and I could definitely feel the difference.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Browsing in Safari and Multitasking is enjoyable now.

14. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I've noticed a nice improvement when swiping back and forth between apps. For example, Mail not longer "flashes" every time I swipe back.

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Coming from the original iPad, this new one is a brand-new experience. I'm used to having to reload Safari *every* time I go to it after doing anything else, and I have yet to reload a single thing in it on this iPad. As a good 75% of my usage of the iPad centers around Safari and Mail, this is a brilliant thing.

16. eq2675 macrumors regular

iPad 1 upgrader too. 256 mb -> 1 gb is a blessing come true. I average about 600 mb free with a few apps open. Never been below 320 mb and System Activity Monitor frees that up in a jiffy.

17. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

Reloading a page when swapping between sites was the reason I returned iPad 1. Not a problem with iPad 3.

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Also coming from the iPad 1 it makes a huge difference especially in safari.

19. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It's maybe a bit better in Safari for not reloading pages, but I can't say I've noticed a significant change from my iPad 2. Don't forget that once apps are updated for retina, they'll be using more memory than they were before.

I still keep running out:
    [​IMG]

Seems like this is a good upgrade for original iPad owners, and a bit mixed for iPad 2 owners. The screen is gorgeous, but the weight, battery life/charging and performance are all worse.

20. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Speaking as a game developer, I'm disappointed. To truly take advantage of the screen will require game assets 4 times the size of iPad 2, but we only have double the memory to cram them into. The GPU has the same problem, 4 times the pixels to render every frame, with textures 4 times as large, but GPU is only twice as powerful.

Now, I didn't expect 2GB RAM...but for Apple to really do the job right, that's what it would have taken.

21. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

It does. I noticed it right away. The browser can open more tabs, and more apps stay in memory for faster switching.

22. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

23. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I'll definitely notice it after it's jailbroken.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

I beg to differ. Now, for example, you can open up a few tabs in Safari, switch to Infinity Blade II, and when you're done not have Safari tabs reload. The difference is quite obvious. More apps stay open longer. And it's about time!

25. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have an iPad 2 and a new one. I can really tell the difference and it's one of the reasons I upgraded. My iPad 2 has been crashing and getting a LOT of low memory instances since 5.0. 5.1 helped but I was still getting one or two crashes every day, and that was just surfing wil no apps in the multitask area.

Not only does my new iPad not crash I checked the Diagnostic and Usage and only saw 2 low memory instances and neither caused a crash. The OS performed as it should and jettisoned a couple of open apps. Certainly has made my usage better. No losing long posts or docs. Well worth the upgrade.