1. gen MBA with SSD vs Unibody MB vs 1 gen MBA entry

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macuserdk, Nov 28, 2008.

1. macuserdk macrumors newbie

Hi all. Im so confused right now. I've recently come to some monies, and I've decided to get meself a laptop. I'm sitting on a 2.5 c2d MBP 15" with 512mb gfx. (aka the big one from last gen) and now I want something smaller for school, and work. (Part time journo) My colleague, has a MBA, and is very pleased with it. Personally im a bit afraid, that it would be too slow for me.
    What I do? I powersurf. I always have: quicksilver, firefox, mail, adium, calendar, itunes, and Unison open. So pretty basic stuff.

My options based on percentage of budget.

1: Unibody MB entry new 70 %

2: MBA 1 gen entry new, 80 %

3: MBA 1 gen SSD used 110%

So, im so confused, guess option 1 would get me the "strongest" computer, but the air is so beautiful, and the air doesn't have that crappy screen. But is it worth paying extra for the 0.2 extra mhz and the SSD, or would the entry MBA 1 gen be strong enough?

Warranty not an issue, have house insurance.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Really, this depends on your needs and/or priorities. Essentially, your decision should be based on whether you prize power or portability more. If you want power (and somewhat better spec in an attractive machine) go for the new, very dashing MB. If your greatest need is portability, then the MBA answers your requirements. Re the two MBAs, my guess is that money will be the deciding factor. If you can afford it, choose the SSD. If not, opt for the HDD. My tuppence worth.

Cheers and good luck

3. macuserdk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, was just hoping for some magical breakthrough. I best buy the Alu MB, it's just so plain conventional.