1 Gigabyte or 2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bowlerguy10, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

As some of you know I am getting a Macbook. My question though is whether to get a gig of ram or 2? My friend who has the same model same specs etc and 1 gig of ram says that he has never had a slowdown with it. I have been told that OSX treats RAM differently. All I will be doing is listening to music watching movies web browsing chatting on Aim etc. Most of these at the same time. Will 1 gig be enough? If I go 1 gig it comes with 2 512 MB sticks which would pin me because to get two I would have to go to crucial and buy 2 gigabyte sticks which isnt as convenient. Anyway so 1 gig or 2? Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I realize this.

5. ironsidephoto macrumors member

get the minimum you can from apple and then max it out with 3rd party ram. apple ram is way too expensive. 2gb of ram will GREATLY improve your experience.

6. Farani macrumors 6502

I investigated this vary problem when contemplating building a macbook. Here is my conclusion for the best value. Don't upgrade your ram from Apple. Get the stock 1GB that it comes with. Then buy 3GB of Corsair from Newegg. It only costs $135 for 1GB + 2GB. That's the same cost Apple charges you for an extra GB. Is it against forum rules for me to post the newegg link?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been posting links to NewEgg for years. :p

8. Farani macrumors 6502

lol ok just double checking. I violated rules earlier today because I'm a noob here. Didn't feel like doing it twice in a single day lol.

Ok here's the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233051

Corsair is a top-notch memory company if not THEE top-notch company. Not to mention the lifetime warranty. I've used Corsair ram on every PC I've had for the past 6 years. Check out the reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820233051

9. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I would get additional ram from a third party, and it would be 2 gigs of ram.

10. jbstew32 macrumors regular

is it really necessary to buy the memory from the 'Apple Notebook Memory" section on newegg? won't any 200pin PC2 5300 memory work fine?

If so, you can get 2GB + 1GB for ~$100

11. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys seem to be missing the fact that the Macbook has a RAM limit of 2 Gigabytes.......

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The limit is 3 GB.

13. jbstew32 macrumors regular

that's the advertised limit. In reality the hardware can address up to 3.3GB

14. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

this is considering you have a intel core 2 duo! if u have a core duo! the max is 2gb! if you have intel core 2 duo, the max is 3.3gb of ram.

sorry, mis read...ur goin to get one...so ul have a intel core 2 duo. :)

15. schreck macrumors regular

c2d macbooks can address 3.3

EDIT: oops, was reading this page for a bit then saw everyone's posts ahead of mine, my apologies

16. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok wow thats awsome. I will go with 2 then. I will get the stock gig of ram and then somewhere down the line probably throw in 2 gigs. Why doesnt apple just advertise it for what it is? 3.

17. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will this ram work in the Macbook? Thats 2 1 gig sticks of RAM which is what I would be looking for. If this is the case I will probably buy that using my Birthday money and some of the money I will get for christmas and bump up the book to 2 gigs. I will see how I do with 1 first though

18. Farani macrumors 6502

According to Kingston's website it will

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...h+3rd+Generation&distributor=0&submit1=Search

19. schreck macrumors regular

Note: At the Best Buy store in which I work we're selling pc2 5300 1gb kingston sticks for 35,99. If anyone lives near a Best Buy that's interested in upgrading I'd definitely look into that..most of the time when we have a deal it's something that's company wide (within the US).

20. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I also just saw someone post in the comments and reviews that it made their 13" macbook run great so it has to run in a Macbook. Thanks for the help guys!