Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Is it possible to have "professional" color film developed at any of those drug stores with 1 hour photo labs?

I shot a roll of Fuji Pro800Z, but since I use B&W film 95% of the time, my C41 chemistry is about eight months old. :eek:

Also, when I first started getting in to photography, the first roll I shot was Tmax and I was too nervous to develop it myself so I took it to CVS. They said they could develop it, but an hour later, they gave my film back and it was completely clear, I guess developed as C41. So now I'm nervous about giving any of those places my film. ;)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
i would send it to a proper lab if it's remotely important. i doubt drug stores are very consistent with their development.

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I've had C41 done at CVS, no problems in the past -- the machines they use are pretty idiot-proof... which judging from your T-Max experience, is a good thing... (an aside, my local CVS is pretty good -- although a bit too nervous about B&W -- they insisted that they had to send out a roll of the fake-Kodak B&W that is processed in C41 chemicals...)

However, you may find it cheaper to get it done at a pro lab, depending on your needs. I use a lab in midtown Manhattan, near the corner of 36th & 8th, very reasonable rates, friendly, consistent results -- C41, B&W, E6 for 35mm and 120.

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
With a minilab the C41 part of the process is pretty hard to cock up and should be fine - it's the printing where most high-street labs fall down. That said, it all depends how important the images are to you.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Is it possible to have "professional" color film developed at any of those drug stores with 1 hour photo labs?

Yep, try to get them to do it on the first run of the day after the machine has warmed up. C41 is C41, but you really don't want old chemicals. There's plenty of printing latitude in C41 so I wouldn't worry too much about it if it isn't perfect. Wal-Marts tend to be fairly good about chemicals if you've got one that goes through them, then you've got a better chance of getting good fresh stuff. Talk to the person running the Frontier and ask them questions, you'll be able to judge from that if they're a drone or if they care, if the latter, it'll be a good run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.