1 Hour Streaming = 1GB of data used?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewVZcustomer, Oct 25, 2014.

1. NewVZcustomer macrumors member

I thought this was a fluke with YouTube. 8.1 seemed to fix it, but now I'm getting the same issue with the CW app. Not normal right? What does 1GB of data get you in terms of streaming over "LTE"?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can tell you that a 45 minute episode of The Blacklist was about 700mb on Netflix. I was streaming them while in line for the iPhone 6 and checked my data before and after a couple episodes since I had never streamed video for that long.

3. bushido Suspended

bushido

arent the eps in HD on the CW app? sounds about right

4. 617aircav Suspended

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Just buy an Unlimited Verizon data plan and don't worry about it

6. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

If you're streaming HD content then that seems perfectly normal to me.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I used about 1 gig of data streaming a live dash cam for a mini storm chase last week so this is pretty normal

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on what you're streaming, 1GB per hour is about right. I don't think its unusual.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It depends on how the video or audio is encoded. Higher quality means a higher bit rate, and more data used over time. If the video is a lower bitrate, then you can use less data, but the video will look blocky/grainy, and the audio will distort.

If it's in HD, then definitely you're going to use 1GB of data per hour, easy. An HD video uses about four times as much bandwidth as a standard definition video, to get the same level of quality.

just wait until people start trying to stream 4K video. According to netflix, you need at least a 20Mbit connection to do that. That means you can easily burn through 7 Gigabytes playing an hour of 4K video.

10. ag29 macrumors 6502

According to Verizon's data calculator, 1 hour of HD video uses up only 400 MB.

But that's obviously false, in my personal experience I get about the same data usage as you. A little over 1 GB for 1 hour of HD video and a little less than 1 gig for hour of SD video.

11. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Depends on the encoding quality, not just SD vs HD.

12. NewVZcustomer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I tested Hulu plus shows and they do almost exactly 400mb per hour so that seems on point. And they look crystal clear so I guess I'll just go that route from now on

13. themyst macrumors 6502

full movie on netflix hit me for 1.8GB, so sounds right.

14. mnsportsgeek, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

1 Hour Streaming = 1GB of data used?

If data caps are the future of cell. Then there needs to be a greater effort made into video compression.

15. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Hopefully subscriber competition and advancements in data transfer efficiency on the carrier side will push data plans into unlimited territory in the future.

Hell, remember when we were on tiered cellular voice minutes. I used to buy 450 minutes a month and try to text as much as possible to get Rollover minutes.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Using 1GB of data for an hours worth of video streaming sounds about right. Had you simply just been streaming music, then something would be off.

17. makinbiscuits macrumors member

you could always turn off lte and watch on 3g.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just one more reason why I love having unlimited data. Use your iPhone how you want without worrying about such things.

19. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Pat yourself on the back a little bit more.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For video, it sounds right. I stream only music mostly and do so for a good hour a day while jogging & walking. I don't have an issue with my limits but would if I wanted to watch videos all of the time.