1 hour to copy 4.7 GB files from DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glumpfner, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Hi there,

so I burned a bunch of DVDs back in 2007 on my old Windows Laptop. Now I need these files again and I started copying the files form the DVD to my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately it tells me it takes about an hour to copy the 4.7GB on to the Hard Disk. Is that normal?

I checked several DVDs that I burned back in 2007 and they all say it takes at least an hour. I tried to stream a 700MB movie from the DVD... didn't work... too slow.

I just turned on my old Windows laptop where I burned the DVDs from and there it works without a problem. Movies streams straight away and if I copy all the files it takes about 10-20 minutes.

So what's the deal with the built in DVD drive of my MacBook Pro?

I need to copy content of 10 DVDs onto my MacBook and I don't really feel like waiting 10 hours :(

2. Glumpfner thread starter macrumors regular

Update: I just noticed that the problem only occurs with Sony DVD Rohlings. Other DVD brands can be read at full speed. Just coping 4.7 GB from a Memorex DVD onto my Hard Disk and it takes 15 minutes.

Seems my MacBook Pro DVD drive has a reading speed limit for Sony DVD+R Discs.

3. ramzhh macrumors regular

Lol, what the heck? I haven't found anything on this around the web, it seems like it's a problem with your own MBP. I Suggest you contact Apple and see if they can replace the drive. Have you got AppleCare?