1 hr talk time on 3? Overall usage?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ssledoux, Sep 24, 2017.

1. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

One of the reviews I watched said you’d get 1 hour of talk time on the watch 3 with cellular; like that would drain you 100% to 0. That makes me wonder what a day looks like overall if you are using cellular away from the phone. Is that gonna count streaming music, texts over cellular network, what?

I guess what I’m wondering is, will the battery last a day with typical use and some cellular use?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The LTE Apple Watch is rated with one hour of continual use with LTE only for calls.

The LTE Apple Watch is rated three hours of use via connection to iPhone Bluetooth.

3. porkrind macrumors regular

porkrind

My results from yesterday were exceptionally better than I expected. It was my first full day with the watch, so you know I dicked around with it a ton more than you would normally do. I also have way too many alerts set so it was going off right and left with all sorts of oddball updates.

I did three different periods of outdoor exercise with GPS and the whole deal including music playin on my AirPods, but without my phone, so on LTE. Maybe two hours total of exercise? An hour and a half? Anyway, after that I went to dinner without the phone as well. So another hour and a half out and about on LTE only. In that time I made a couple phone calls, sent a few text messages, more dicking around with alerts and such.

End of the day I went to bed with 30% battery on the watch still remaining. Way better than I expected. I’m very pleased.

4. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Right, but say you’re just having a normal use day, and you have a couple minute phone call here or there with cellular, and maybe send texts over cellular, plus some of your other normal use items that aren’t using cellular, and then playing music, are you looking at killing a battery midday?

We must’ve posted at the same time. That doesn’t look too bad!

5. profets macrumors 601

I can't recall which review it was, but someone attempted a 12 hour day with cellular being their only connection to the watch. I don't think they had heavy use, but it did last all day.

A regular day, with some LTE mixed in will be fine for battery I'd think. I've kind of been testing today like that. Doing stuff around the house and outdoors as well. Purposely making calls using cellular and replying to messages. 6 hours into the day and I'm at 79%.

6. ersan191 macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that the watch does not play music over LTE at all yet, that will come in a later update - it was music downloaded on the watch storage itself which would use much less power. I think when the AM update comes out that will be the true test.

Personally I have no issue with the watch battery - I spent most of the day yesterday out and about and the battery was still around 30% when I went to bed.

7. porkrind macrumors regular

porkrind

Yeah, I am aware of that. But still, it was 1.5 to 2 hours of playing music, tracking my exercise with GPS and keeping updated over LTE. A reasonably heavy use case.

8. profets macrumors 601

That is pretty good. With the Series 2 I noticed that for every hour of standalone workout (GPS + HR + music playback) would drain about 20-25% of battery life.

9. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I find that my S3 watch with LTE has much better battery life compared to my S0.

Yesterday, I woke up and went for a 85 minute run. The watch had 73% battery left at the end of my run which I thought was not bad considering I was using GPS and LTE and streaming music to my bluetooth headphones, while running in a location with poor cellular coverage which usually strains battery life. I charged my watch while showering after my run and it was up to 86% when I put it back on. At the end of the day, my watch was still at 63% (although I always had my phone with me for the rest of the day, so it was not using LTE).