1 iphone, 2 itunes accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chris77, Mar 2, 2010.

1. chris77 macrumors newbie

Hi all--

I have an iphone and through my own error I now have two itunes accounts, both with content. One is an account I've had for years, transferred from a previous ipod touch and linked to hotmail. The other originated with my iphone when I signed up for mobileme.

I have been told by apple that it's not possible to merge the two. So one is to go.

I'm not that concerned with the loss of the content on the account I will delete, but I wanted advice on whether people think it's preferable to have their itunes account the same as their mobileme account, or not.

Chris

2. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Do you just have music?

Upgrade the music on the account that is not going to be used to DRM free.

As far as account names, use something you can remember and is something you want to use for a while. Make sure the password is 8-12 characters with some mixed case and a number.

3. chris77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not much music on either account, and what I do have is ripped so DRM free.

What I am really asking is, is it better to have a unified mobileme/appleID, or do you keep them separate. I have the choice, so just want peoples opinions/experiences.

4. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

I use the same login name for both, but different passwords. I would suggest you keep your passwords at least different on mm and the itunes store/apple id, because mm is by far more mission critical than your apple id, and you might want to change passwords there frequently whilst keeping a fairly simple straight forward password for your apple id. It's not as if someone is going to use your store account to buy music by breaking the password, and If they are that dumb they will be most likely be caught either via their ip, mac address and other more complex fraud prevention measures apple should have in store.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I have 3 iTunes accounts with content that goes on my iPhone. One old iTunes account (also using a Hotmaill address), my current iTunes account (using a MobileMe address), and a work iTunes account. I'd also been told by iTunes customer service that I could not merge my 2 personal accounts. But, it works out since I've just authorized my computer for all 3 accounts and I have no problems with it at all - I never need to do anything special to make sure everything works.

I don't think you need to delete the content from the old account unless you really want to. There's no maintenance or anything required to keep the content from the old account and continue to sync it to your iPhone or any other Apple device.