1 line of code...still ignored feature (Music app queue/play next functionality)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by goke, Jul 10, 2014.

1. goke macrumors newbie

what's the status on this embarrassing simple fix, which is less than a line of code to add.

2. April Knight, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

April Knight Suspended

1. You are not owed this feature, nor was it ever promised, so as far as a "status" goes-- there is none. It's also not a "fix," as that implies that the feature exists but isn't working. And nobody other than Apple would know anyways, so what do you expect to gain here? Your time would be better spent at https://www.apple.com/feedback/

2. If you are as knowledgeable as you think, surely, you must know that it would be much more than a single "line of code" to implement this feature.

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Only reason I used Ecoute over the music player. Thankfully it syncs with iCloud Match. Look it up on the App Store.

4. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

Incredibly ignorant knowledge of what a single 'line of code' can achieve.

Even if it was a single line of code (which it almost certainly is not) then there may be other considerations that you (because you do not work as an Engineer at Apple) do not understand.

5. goke thread starter macrumors newbie

like what?

----------

you guys are quick to defend simple ####-up's 1)lack of ability to delete an album in one swipe 2)music app's queue feature aKa "on-the-fly playlist"....it's 2014, these are standard feature for any world-class music app

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Other things Apple would consider apart from the "single line" of code?

The UI. What will this look like to the user?
    The functionality. How will the user manage this?
    What about the lock screen now playing screen? Should it be put there? If so, how?
    Are we using on screen buttons, or gestures? Should this be different on the lock screen?
    Should we release it as an API?
    How can developers plug into it?
    Is it consistent with the rest of the OS?
    What about Podcasts? Do we need it there?
    How about the videos app? How would that look?
    Do we need to show upcoming artwork? Or is track name ok? What about album and artist name? Are they required on a small display?
    What about the iPad? Will we do this with overlayed menus there?
    Does that make sense and is easy for users to understand both iPad and iPhone interface?
    How about integrating with iTunes Match? If we do show the next artwork, we need to download it in advance. How will servers deal with this extra load?

Probably just 10% of the other considerations Apple might have.

7. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Definitely not one line of code.

Probably best to not feed the posters.

8. CutterSlade, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Lol, sorry but pretty much none of this is relevant to that specific feature the OP mentioned. They can easily add it to the music player only without having to worry about much else. It can be limited to work only when playing the songs in your device. There is nothing to "manage" by the users.

It can't be done a single line of code but it certainly can be done without having to add hundreds of lines of code. Seems like you came up with ridiculous arguments just to make it look more complicated than it is. Check the Audio APIs in the iOS SDK and see for yourself how easy it is to add something like that.

Apple doesn't add it because most Apple users are like you. That's it.

Anyway, the OP should send feedback to Apple. Writing it here won't do much good because it's not the users in this forum who develop the music app.

9. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Oh believe me it would be far more than 100 lines of code. All of what he said is relevant. While the implementation might sound simple, the design and development considerations that would be required are quite large.

A simple nicety for users can cause quite the headache for the developers behind it

10. CutterSlade, Jul 11, 2014

CutterSlade

I don't need to believe, I already know because I'm a developer myself. The fact is, he isn't talking about re-designing the entire app, just the implementation of a new and simple feature. There isn't a whole lot of design considerations here, especially not with the current design of the app. We can't know much lines of code they would need (I had removed that comment but since you quoted it I had to put it back :) ) so I'm talking in terms of complexity.

He even mentioned the video app how's that's relevant? Do they have to change the notes app as well in order to implement that feature?

Or do we understand different things when we talk about a queue or play next feature?

11. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Yes it is quite a simple feature, but in terms of UX/UI there is a lot to think about.

I think he mentioned the Videos and Podcasts app as in making the queuing feature system wide? Would make sense if you think about it.

12. CutterSlade, Jul 11, 2014

CutterSlade

I'm not saying that they can add it in 5 mins, every feature requires some consideration before implementing it. I just think some people exaggerate the amount of work required to add features like this and use it as an excuse for Apple. Apple isn't some small company with a 2-man development team, so the amount of work required for such simple features means nothing to them. If they don't add something, that's only because they don't think that it's needed, not because it's a lot of work.

That's the reason I posted in this topic, I don't give a damn about the music app because I don't even use it :)

13. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

On the contrary, many iOS apps are built by a single person per app at Apple. They have said this in the WWDC session videos countless times.

The problems are in fact what has been dismissed. They spend a lot of time making sure that their frameworks are consistent across the OS. This does not mean that they just throw in a feature and call it a day. It does take planning.

The point remains that whilst it might be a good feature for some, Apple have decided that it is not a critical feature enough to warrant the time on it in this release. Compared to other features in the OS and apps that have had a greater impact on the acceptance of iOS from the public, they simply haven't included it.

If you think that they don't know about it as a feature - I highly doubt that. Developers submit feature requests and bug reports constantly (well I do) and I am sure its already on their radar.

It's not a single line of code. Nothing ever is when it affects this many people.

14. jreynolds3 macrumors newbie

If you think it's not more than "one line of code" why don't you implement it? it's not hard to get the SDK or the Source for iOS. Let's see how you would implement it with full mockups of the UI, the code, and a working demonstration.

15. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

You do realize there is a public jailbreak available for 7.1.2. and you can get Aria which give you music queue? Of course, the tweak isn't free, but it's that's because it's clearly not 1 line of code. That's like saying a building is made out of a single block of cement...

And if you don't like JB, there are other free music apps that have that. Options exist, look for them instead of complaining.

16. CutterSlade, Jul 11, 2014

CutterSlade

This message clearly shows that you haven't read past the first letter of my posts so it's no wonder that you didn't see that I've already answered your question. Let me repeat that for you:

- I never said that you can do it in one line of code
    - Because of tens of limitations in iOS I don't use an iPhone (I have an Android based phone with a custom music player app installed) and that's why I'm not developing one myself. Even if I had one, I'm not allowed to use all of their APIs because they're "private" (reserved for use only by Apple's devs). This might or might not be an issue for this particular case but what I know for sure is that comparing a 3rd party dev with Apple's devs is plain stupid. You don't even have a guarantee that if you develop one it won't get rejected by Apple. That's why the proposed solutions work only on jailbroken devices.

Not to mention that Apple's music app isn't open source so I cannot "add" anything to it.

I could do it easily on Android though, but a lot of people already did, so there's no point in doing it again.

We aren't talking about developing a new app that contains 100+ new screens. If adding 1-2 new screens and a few buttons (and preparing all the required mockups etc. for them) looks such a complex task to you, then you must be thinking that the development of iOS itself took around 20-25 years. Let me enlighten you then, it didn't :)

17. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

ITT: If you come into a community full of developers and make their job sound trivial, you're going to have a bad time.

18. CutterSlade, Jul 11, 2014

CutterSlade

Lol, how many times I have to say that I'm a developer too?
    I've been working as a senior mobile app developer for more than 5 years and took part in the development of tens of apps/games for both platforms, most of which were much more complex than this music app you all LOVE :) So I know what is easy to do and what is not.

I'm not making their (and my) job sound trivial. I'm just stating that for this particular case the amount of complexity involved is overly exaggerated here.

19. klamse25, Jul 11, 2014

klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Maybe a single line of code with literally no breaks between semicolons.
    How about you submit the source code implementation right here on MR to show us how "simple" it is?

20. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

I agree with everything you said (including the parts I excluded). I'm talking about relative complexity and the actual development time. It's true that even the simplest thing they do takes time because of what you said above, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a simple request. It might as well take them 1 month to change the font of a label in a screen but that doesn't matter.

21. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You can do #1 in iOS 8.

----------

I think they are exaggerating on purpose in order to get across the point that Apple engineers will not implement this because it takes time and they have other points of interest right now besides pleasing those who don't want to browse for other apps.

22. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Thanks for that - never heard of this app before but I just downloaded it and love it! Everything that the stock music app should be... Too bad there is no dedicated iPad version though!

23. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm with the OP. Where the hell is Up Next???? iTunes has had it since late 2012. I would use this all the time on my iPad and iPhone.

24. April Knight Suspended

Actually, now that I read the OP again, he said it's LESS than one line of code. I was unaware that features were able to be added to a program with 0 code. :eek:

25. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Unless the feature is already coded and just needs to be enabled by un-commenting a line of code?

Maybe OP knows something we don't! ;)