1 mac, 2 user account, 2 iPhone, 1 music library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by passatgt, Sep 4, 2012.

1. passatgt macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have a Macbook Pro 13 with Mountain Lion. I have two iPhones with two separated Apple ID. I set up two user account on my mac to manage the phone, so i can use different apps on each phone. This works fine. However, i would like to use the same music library on the other iphone, but obviously i can't see the music library in the other user account.

Is it possible to share the music library from one user account to another?

P.S.: this is not a math question

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The most straightforward way to do this would be to simply copy the music from one user account to the other.

3. passatgt thread starter macrumors newbie

But if i add new music to one of the user accounts, i can't see them in the other

4. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

It is actually as simple as you think:

1) Move your existing iTunes library to a folder in the root of your MBP,
    2) Hold down the ALT-key while starting iTunes, and select "Choose Library", and map to the moved library,
    3) Repeat step 2 whilst logged in on the other account.

Now you have one iTunes library, shared by two users. You can have the library on your MBP, on a NAS, on an external HD, etc.

/Bo

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's true. You would need to add the new music to both accounts.

----------

Except that doesn't help with the fact that he want to maintain two separate AppleIDs for each of his devices with different apps. And it could lead to problems if he uses Fast User Switching.

6. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

We also had different AppleIDs when we first started using iTunes via a NAS, and it is merely logging out and back in of the Store when switching iPhones.

And you are right, it is a problem if you are using Fast User Switching, as the library can only be accessed from one user at a time. We have the library on a NAS, and sometimes one of us (and we are three users), get the "library locked" message.

/Bo

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's true. I just find that to be much more inconvenient than adding songs to both libraries. We sync daily through iTunes Wifi Sync. We don't add new music near as often.