1 Megapixel rear camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple have kept VERY quiet about the rear camera.
    No Flash unit, and nothing about still shots or resolution, which IMHO can only mean it's very poor, 1 megapixel, otherwise they would have said something.

No?

2. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

the apple website says that the back camera shoots 720p video
    so i doubt its only 1 megapixel.

3. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Isn't that what they did with the Touch?

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Given that its "tap to exposure" I'm thinking its the same camera as the iPod touch (so 1.3MP).

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yes, they mention the camera in the video posted to the front of Apple.com and on the spec page. This is keeping things VERY quiet, don't you agree Piggie?

6. urkel macrumors 68030

People get so excited by the HD moniker but 720p only requires 1.3MP so that can easily be all it is. And if so, thats very disappointing.

(BTW. The Facetime HD camera on the current Macbooks are 1.3MP. And last gens Macbook camera? Also 1.3MP but software limited to .3MP. The obtaining 720p HD video is much easier than most people think)

7. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

It's OK, the iPad 3 (or iPad 2, if you class this as iPad 1.5) will have a 5mp camera with flash and 1080p.

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

They have only mentioned the words Camera, Video and 720p have they not?

I've not seen any mention of Camera res, or still photo shots. Have you?

9. Carouser macrumors 65816

The implication that they are guilty of hiding something or knowingly put in sub-standard components and aren't owning up to it is rubbish. Keep smearin'

10. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

No it's just simple logic.

If you fit something you KNOW is great and you KNOW people will be impressed by it ag go "wow, that's cool" then you announce it.

If you know that by telling people the spec of something people will go, "Oh that's pretty poor" you just gloss over it, and say nothing.

Does not mean you are lying or anything. what you don't tell people about is as important as what you do tell people about.

The very fact they did not say anything about the spec of the rear camera is that they know what the reaction would be if they did say it.

11. Davichi macrumors 6502

Why the heck would I hold 10 inch device to take a picture or record movies?
    I would only use cameras for photo booth and face time.

1 megapixel is fine. If that is what it takes apple keep the cost low, then fine. Don't be stupid like motorola Xoom and somehow I will pay 799 dollars for a tablet with 4G and 5 megapixel camera that I won't use.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

They didn't mention it because it's not it's not a feature they are highlighting or targeting with the iPad. Big deal. It's nothing to blame them for, it doesn't mean it's 'poor', whatever your continual attempts to cast aspersions and FUD.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It'll be nice for augmented reality apps.

14. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Keep costs down = fitting poor camera to save 5 dollars.

I know some were hoping they would be able to use the camera in business as a sort of photocopier. they could photo a document and email it direct to someone else, all using the iPad.

a 1 megapixel makes this impossible I'd imagine.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Because you can.

Its not a $100 add on so the fact that its there is nice. And if you dont like it then its easy to ignore.