1 monitor, 2 laptops, with wireless keyboard/mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thedarkchariot, Sep 20, 2011.

1. thedarkchariot macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I want to have create a setup with 2 laptops (1 Macbook Pro, and 1 Macbook Pro running Windows through Bootcamp), with 1 monitor, 1 keyboard, and 1 mouse.

I have used KVM switches before, so I know how that works. The trick is, though, I want a *wireless* keyboard and *wireless* mouse. I've been Googling and searching MacForums but still don't have a satisfactory answer. Is this possible?

Thanks a lot!

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Wireless as in "with a dongle" or wireless as in "via Bluetooth"?

In either case, it should be possible. For the dongle, they normally plug into your computer via USB (or, rarely, PS/2) and could do the same to a KVM. Your computer or the KVM sees it as a regular keyboard or mouse since the dongle does all the "translation." There might be some weird incompatibility with your particular dongle and the KVM, but I'd imagine most would be OK.

For Bluetooth, I don't think there are any KVM-type solutions, but you can disconnect them from one computer and connect them to another without much hassle (especially if you have a laptop or other wired keyboard to bail you out).

3. thedarkchariot thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah...perfect. I'm just looking for the wireless form factor, so it really doesn't matter what kind of technology it uses.

Thanks!