1 month old Macbook... there may be trouble ahead...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by screamadelica, Oct 22, 2008.

1. screamadelica macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster! I bit the bullet in September (2008) and moved over to the bright side of personal computing and invested in a shiny new MacBook 2.4Ghz, intel core 2 duo...etc etc - i purchased my notebook in the fantastic 5th avenue store in NY, which enhanced the experience! however my enthusiasm was soon dissipated within the first week, after i was prompted that the mac needs to restart - press and hold the button blah blah...(you all know this) i did anyway. I though nothing of it and continued to use it, I returned to Ireland and as luck, or whatever you would call it, had it the Macbook continued to crash and stall even in the middle of working on certain programs (numbers/safari for example). I made initial contact with apple care - based in Cork, who insisted that the mac was fine and walked me through certain procedures. (deleted caches) I basically want to return the mac to NY and get a replacement. can i do this? am i entitled to? I disposed of the box already. I contacted Apple NY yesterday the guy told me that i could not return it because the box is missing... i'm not sure that i am fully satisfied with being stuck with a dodgy 1 month old mac... any advice is most welcome- thanks in advance

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

did u get a glassbook or a white/black one?

if u ring and complain eonugt u shud be able to get a replacement from your local apple support

3. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

He bought it in September, the glass ones were introduced in October. Yawns.

4. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Haha my thought exactly!

5. thetinman macrumors member

thetinman

Box is missing is such a poor argument if, if the laptop persists on crashing call them and hound them to change it. As long as there is a receipt then you should be good to go!

6. screamadelica thread starter macrumors newbie

Great stuff, thanks to all.
    Can i assume that the emailed receipt shall suffice in my attempt to exchange it? it does have the barcode.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The emailed receipt is fine.

And I agree that the box argument is flimsy. Especially since a returned/exchanged MacBook is fixed and sold as a refurb. And refurb Macs don't come in the original fancy packaging. They come in brown boxes.