1 new iPhone in Sept. or 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Number 41, Aug 27, 2011.

?

Guess the number of new iPhones in September:

Poll closed Oct 26, 2011.
  1. One new iPhone (looking the same as the iP4)

28 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. Two new iPhones (iP4 update + new iP5)

55 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

So far, we've seen parts leaking for only 1 new iPhone -- all of which suggest an identical design as the current iPhone 4.

The rumor mill persists with the story that there will be 2 new iPhones released -- the "cheaper" iPhone 4 (8GB) and a new, yet-undisclosed, iPhone 5 with design changes. Thus far, no parts have leaked that suggest any design change is happening.

So, make your prediction -- 1 new phone or 2?

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm thinking 2. I have a feeling the iPhone 4 is to expensive to produce to keep it as a budget phone (due to the glass back / steel frame), so Apple will revamp it so that it can produced at a lower cost.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It best be two. If the iPhone 5 looks just like the iPhone 4 I'm going to be pissed.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think the reason that their are so many conflicting reports about the size of the next iPhone is because I do believe Apple will introduce two new iPhone's this Fall.

Just like Apple does with the MacBook Air, having an entry lever 11" model for $999 (Starting at $999 is great for marketing), and then the higher end 13" model that begins for $1,299.

5. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I also think there will be two - there's way too much new in iOS5 to NOT have an all-new, bigger and better design to showcase all the goodness. It would be a shame to put iOS5 in the "same ol' " package, even though us iPhone4 folks will be delighted to have it operational.

Also, why would we have any reason to upgrade devices if the iPhone4 is still the latest/greatest? No chance. There just HAS to be a new device!

I hope so, anyway...:D

6. Zeisen55 macrumors member

there have been so many conflicting theories on whether the new iphone will be more of a "4s", or an all new "5". i believe this contradiction is because there will actually be two new phones. at this point, no one can say what these phones will be, but i think there will be a new cheaper model, in addition to a brand new iphone 5.

7. Number 41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

As someone who is ready to upgrade a 3GS (and who absolutely hates the glass-built fragile design of the iPhone 4), I really hope that there is going to be a re-designed iPhone 5 -- but every leaked part seems to indicate otherwise.

You'd think we'd have seen SOMETHING at this point if there was going to be an iPhone 5 with a different design.

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat...except even worse, just a 3g!

You don't think it's possible Apple is using the iP4 shell to test the new 'guts'?

I'm not sure I buy any of the supposed leaks and designs I've seen anyway. And actually, the big one for a while was a new, tapered design with a diff home button...so there have been 'reports' of a new design.

To answer the poll though, I think there will be 0 new iPhone's in September. At this point I wish I would have just stuck with the Atrix this whole time instead of returning it thinking I only had a couple of months until the new iP came out

9. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Amen to that! We need a redesign! :mad:

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You won't be the only one.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I believe that the iPhone 4S or whatever the lower cost iPhone will be, is being leaked. But Apple wants to keep the real deal, the iPhone 5 under wraps. A lot of case manufacturers have made cases for the 5th generation iPhone, and they show a brand new design. Just look at the recent case leaks.

Anyway, i do think that we'll be seeing 2 models, because after over a year if Apple just produces an iPhone 4S, then it's pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

12. antman2295, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

antman2295 macrumors 6502

Agreed! I couldn't have said it better!

13. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Would be cool to see an updated iPhone 4 and a brand new iPhone 5.

14. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

This is my thinking as well. The leaked parts we've seen so far indicate a redesigned iP4...new antenna, most likely world mode, support for T-Mo, and possibly an A5 (although I doubt that.) The reason, I think, we haven't seen ANYTHING about the iP5, is because Apple is doing absolutely everything they can to prevent a repeat of last year's Gizmodo snafu. I'm willing to bet from hereon out, there will never again be a leak on that magnitude, or even close to it. Which, subsequently, makes me think that there is a high possibility of a redesign, and consequently, a full-fledged iPhone 5.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

September of this year? Not gonna happen.

I predict the absolute earliest the upcoming iPhone will be released is late October. I have an unusual feeling there's more than one problem that's holding it back. Hopefully I'm wrong but something just doesn't seem right.

Only time will tell.

I would enjoy watching Tim Cook introduce it. He's the future of Apple and that's exciting.

16. korndawg macrumors regular

I'm ready for the disappointment of only getting a spec-bumped Iphone 4.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

1 new iPhone. These prototypes might be for the iPhone 5 internals tested in a shell that looks like the iPhone 4. Remember those rumors?

18. Number 41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ditto. Outside of hardcore tech nerds, nobody cares about a minor speed bump for a phone -- especially considering it's not required for any of the new features in iOS 5.

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sorry to be out of topic but I've seen many posters who write that "Tim Cook is the new future of Apple, or Tim Cook would make things well on Apple" on a various topics or sub-forum being thumbed down for what reason?

Yeah I realized how great Steve Jobs has been great leader for Apple, but how about looking forward? Tim Cook ain't no slouch either .. he's a great person with visions too. Sure he might not be as charming or inspiring as Steve .. but he's great nonetheless. There is only one Steve Jobs, sure ... but he's not immortal, is he?

I don't care if I getting thumbed down for this "Tim Cook" post .. that's a ridiculous reason for thumbing down anyway

:cool:

20. onlyapple macrumors member

I am hoping that it will just be one new Iphone

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You an me brother. I hope the real iPhone 5 has yet to be seen.

...seems to be the general sentiment. I wonder if Apple is aware of the disappointment a spec-bumped iPhone 4 will bring? And after 15 months and all the expectations that brings with it. Such disappointment that myself (and others here with a 3GS) will skip the new model again.

22. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Two new iPhones (iP4 update + new iP5)
    Come at me bro! haha My body is ready.

23. darknightB macrumors newbie

Personally I think, and hope, that Apple is going to release a brand new iPhone 5. Probably mostly hope, but I think they have a big problem if they don't.

If you look at the competition, almost all the big sellers now have a bigger screen. I know Steve Jobs said that Apple didn't have any plans for a bigger iPhone sometime last year during a conference call, but I also think that the bigger screens have taken a bigger chew of the market than predicted.

As a 3G owner I'd welcome a bigger screen if it's done right. I want a bigger screen with a minimally bigger device. I think the likes of the Galaxy SII are too big, there's just to much device around the screen. I want the next iPhone to still fit in my pocket and at the same time incorporate a bigger screen. Edge-to-edge rumors anyone?

As many others have said I also prefer the tapered edges of the 3G and 3GS rather than the iPhone 4's flat back. I've spent enough time with the iPhone 4 to know what I'm talking about. Without a bumper it's incredibly slippery, and I allways feel like it could slide out of my hands at any time. But then again, the 4 is incredible strong (and delicate/fragile) and feels like it's in a different league material-wise compared with the 3G(S).

If Apple knows which way the wind blows, and I think they do, there will be a bigger screened, slim, sexy, well built iPhone 5 for all of us who are dying to replace our 3G(S) with something from the top of the line (I also hope they will up it from 32 to 64GB, but with iCloud around the corner that's probably unlikely :( ). For those who just wan't an iPhone I think there will be a new 8GB and possibly also a 16GB iPhone 4(S?). Maybe they will kill the 3GS, or maybe they won't. The 3GS is getting the new iOS 5 update, and I think it will work reasonably well afterwards, unlike the 3G + iOS 4 combination, so it is possible that Apple will keep it alive as an entry level iPhone - maybe a renaming?

----------

How will the "One more thing"-statement feel if it's not coming from Jobs?

24. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch