1 new iPhone/year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevster89, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

The way you see it, does it look as if Apple is putting out a new iPhone approximately every 1 year? I guess it is hard to determine if the 1st gen. iPhone --> 3G iPhone is any indication of a trend, but what do you suppose?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I imagine that there will be some sort of update to the iPhone every year. If you look at the iPod that is what they have done. I imagine that they will try to keep pace with the new developments in the iPod.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I think there will be a change roughly once a year as well. They will have to stay ahead of the competition. Also, 4G is on the horizon.

4. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

5. The Governor macrumors regular

You think? Seems like they are, if anything, going to add more space not decrease it

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Heh. Not 4GB. 4G. Much faster data speeds. It is already in early development.

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

LOL

8. stofferdk macrumors regular

I lolled

9. thebez macrumors regular

Don't forget to account for the minor updates, for example the 16gb model that came out in feburary.

10. daisuke07 macrumors regular

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Perhaps AT&T can get the 3G working a bit better first.

Presumably there will be periodic capacity updates as flash memory becomes cheaper/smaller.

And presumably there will be some amount of redesign. But, really, what can they do with it absent a change in functionality (e.g., slider with keyboard)? Other than that, it's mainly packaging, speed upgrades, and memory upgrades.

(well, and all the features there are a million threads on)

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPhone will update every year, but I think the differences between each iPhone model will be slight. What changed from version 1 to 2? They added 3G, GPS, and changed the back to plastic.

I think the change from iPhone version 2 to version 3 will be similarly subtle. More storage space, a new back (just for style's sake) and slightly more system RAM for programs to run in. And probably not much else, really. (MAYBE a new camera. Maybe.)

That's my guess for what will change next year (aside from software improvements, obviously).

13. thebez macrumors regular

14. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

+1

I'm holding on to my first gen iPhone until this one comes out... and it will have a better camera, Apple doesn't want blackberry getting too ahead in that department. And hopefully hopefully hopefully a better speaker... why can't they just do what RIM does? Their speakers rock!

15. daisuke07 macrumors regular

i can't wait for that

and also a high def screen/higher resolution screen

16. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Wrong. 4G WiMax is out in Baltimore, Maryland now

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh the humanity! So much "incorrectness" in this thread.

First of all. There won't be a 4G iPhone for years. How can you want a 4G phone when 3G is barely rolled out yet? Only major cities have 3G and suburbs. By the time 3G is like EDGE, we will see 4G rolling out in phones, and that won't be till at least 2010, and i doubt the iPhone will see 4G in the next 3 years.

Second of all, we will more than likely see an iPhone update every summer. Apple likes this. I like it too. It's summer time, people can wait in lines in most of the country and get attention. Much better waiting in line in the winter than in the summer.

OKay, that^ was a joke. But in all honesty, new iPhone model every year in the summer time. Next iPhone should see 16GB standard, new design, maybe a better camera, front facing camera, etc.

18. 11800506 macrumors 65816

LTE which is what the iPhone would use won't be deployed until 2010+. Not to mention that WiMax is close to fading into obscurity as Sprint is the only network provider which chose it for their 4G upgrade path.

19. jameschoun macrumors newbie

new iphone will include copy and paste & mms.... lol

20. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway