1 of 3 computers has high latency

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 1MegaByte, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 1MegaByte macrumors newbie

I have a G5 and an iMac and a laptop that runs M$. The G5 is really slow loading web pages. Sometimes it will load one web page fine, but then the next web page will take forever. I have even had emails timeout on mail.yahoo.com This started happening 2 weekends ago.

I ran speed tests on a few websites, and the up and down speeds are great. The M$ laptop tested just fine on these websites. Even if I ping yahoo.com from the G5, the latency is can be from 80 to 200. On the speed test websites, the latency for the G5 is around 80. I have bypassed the router, plugging directly into the cable that brings in the internet, and the latency is really high. I have pluuged the iMac bypassing the router, and the latency is alright. I have tried different cables, to the iMac and to the G5; the G5 always has higher latency. I have tried the Airport Card in the G5, and the latency is still high.

Does the Airport card and the wired NIC use the same NIC?

I do not understand what it could be.

G5 PowerfulMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 1.8GHz, 1024MB RAM, 615GB HDs

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Your G5 isn't particularly powerful for a PowerPC and it really shows it's age compared to MacBooks and iMac's..

No the AirPort and the wired NIC do not share the same PCI bandwidth.

This is a question better put to the PowerPC folks in the PowerPC forum. Ignore any guff you might get and the solution will likely be found.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

The G5 should not be returning 200's on a ping unless the other machines are doing the same thing.
    It's not the age of the machine.
    There are separate interfaces for the Ethernet and wifi

Sounds like something is in the way or sucking up all your band width.

May just be time to shut everything down and plug the g5 directly into the Internet (cable dsl modem) then power up the modem then after a bit the G5 and recheck those ping latencies.