1% of battery lost on boot, even when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gumbyx84, Apr 22, 2009.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I am currently running into a slight problem with my MBP (Early 2008). A few months back I replaced the stock HD with a 7200RPM drive. Install and cloning went fine. I didn't run into problem until recently. I have noticed that when I boot the MBP, I seem to loss exactly 1% of battery power, even when the system in plugged in. It wouldn't bother me so much except after 4+ days of during it on and off (daily use) my battery will start charging at ~96%. I did calibrate the battery a few weeks after installing the new drive, so I don't think that will "fix" the problem.

Has anyone run into this problem before, with or without a 7200RPM drive installed? If so, were you able to fix it? If so, how? Thought I would ask here before going to the Apple Store because I know some (if not most) users here have upgraded to 7200 RPM drives in their MB(P)s. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you sure it's charging and not staying at 96%? I know if I fully charge the late-2008 MacBook Pro to 100%, turn off and then restart, it will be at 99% but won't charge until it's at 95% or lower. I think this also applies to the early-2008 that from 95-100%, the battery should not charge.

3. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

i think your worrying over nothing, apple does this to batteries to help them charge better by not letting them be full all the time, mine does it too.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's nothing to worry about. I had 97% on first boot, then over a few months went down to 93%. A few weeks ago crawled up all the way to 104%.

5. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Well, looks like I remembered wrong. It starts charging at 95% or less.

I understand what you are getting at, but I never had this issue before I swapped hard drives. I'm worried about wasting charge cycles and screwing up the battery. Also, its hard not to get worried when you had 99% battery life when you shut down and unplug your laptop in the morning and have 96% when you turned it back on (plugged in again) when you come home at night (which is what happened to me today). Its been happening more often now that I have started to use it like a desktop at home (always plugged in when in use).

Edit: I did forget to mention that when the laptop is on, the battery level never fluctuates. Meaning my laptop will stay at 96% until the next time I power it down and back on.

6. portent macrumors 6502a

Never had, or never noticed?

MacBooks will occasionally pull extra "surge" power from battery even while they're plugged in, if demand goes up. Starting up may indeed demand a little extra power. Maybe the new HD requires some extra spin-up power compared to your old one.

7. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Ok I did over-panic a bit ... OK, a lot. Just worried about it as I have never noticed it before on any other laptops I have used. Also, its been a "fun" week, so I've been a little over sensitive when it comes to my tech. I'll follow your advice and try re-calibrate it tonight and see how things work out over the next week. If it happens again or gets worse, I'll be heading to the Apple Store.n Need to buy AppleCare for the MBP soon anyway. :) Might as well get a new battery out of it.

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I don't think it's a problem... Stuff like that happens all of the time... Like right now, my battery is at 99% and its been like that for a couple hours

9. Illicit macrumors 6502

Nothing to be worried about. Just got a brand new battery. Ran CoconutBattery as soon as I put the battery in:
    5559 mAh out of a total 5600 mAh. and this was brand new. 0 Loadcycles.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Woah. So the battery had more charge than it could store? Interesting. I was impressed when I was pulling 5 hours, 55 minutes as my battery charge remaining.

11. Illicit macrumors 6502

unlikely that the battery actually had >5600 mAh. it was probably a calibration issue.

12. Annafox macrumors newbie

Can someone help me? my battery recently lost power and swelled up, it actually got stuck in the computer, however i did get it out. I read that the computer should power up without the battery in it, but i cant get it to.....im scared!(by the way it never has powered up without battery in it, it wasnt damaged by it) im also going to force a new free battery out of apple but in the meantime need to use it without battery....its a macbookpro 17" 2.4ghz, dual core, 2007 model. im in the uk

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

using the new 2009 uMBP i turned my system off last night at 100% unplugged everything and when booted showed 99% *shrugs* the battery still retains its full capacity charge and the variable between ~95% - ~100% charging is sufficient still.