1 old,1new iPad/1 data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martosprint, Mar 11, 2011.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I have the original 3G iPad and if I bought the new 3G iPad 2 would I need to pay for 2 data plans or can I just switch the sim back and forth between the two iPads keeping just the one data plan? I'm using ATT service and I have the unlimited plan right now. I hope I made clear my intent. In other words I want to have two iPads using one data plan without having to pay ATT twice for both iPads. Is this possible?
    Thanks for a reply 

2. Full of Win, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yes you can swap out the SIM; at least that is what ATT told me.

However you will need to go to www.att.com/ipadlanding to change the IMEI and ICCID number each time you switch them in the "edit user & payment information" section. On the iPad, these numbers are found by going to Settings > General > go to the bottom of the page

You may be able to get by w/o doing this for a while. However, since these numbers are included with your data transmission, you run the risk of ATT automatically giving you a data block.

3. raymondpaul macrumors newbie

Haven't tried it but I think you can swap the sim back and forth. :apple:

4. richg916 macrumors regular

I had to call them to have the imei put in for the new ipad today and it did take about 45 min for it to take effect.. so I don't know if it will work switching back and forth.. :confused: