1 or 2 partitions on 2tb external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by okizen, Aug 2, 2015.

1. okizen macrumors member

Should I put 1 or more partitions on my 2tb external hard drive? Which is the safer method or does it not matter?

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

It does not really matter. If you are going to use it for Time Machine + other storage it is recommended that you partition the drive, please read here:

http://pondini.org/TM/3.html

I have a couple of 2 TB drives on my server and I have each of them partitioned so that 1 TB is dedicated to Time Machine on each drive, the other 1 TB contains: music, personal data, software storage etc.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Technically, one partition means the drive is not partitioned, no? unless the | in "drive 1 | drive 2" is considered the partition. (the separator of the two areas)
    I have three on mine, or two if you define it as above, and it works great.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, the partition (as applied to computer storage) is the prepared storage space itself, not the | between two storage spaces/partitions.
    I used to use this analogy (maybe it still fits!): Consider a sheet of lined notebook paper, with writing on the page.
    You can erase the writing, but there's still lines. That's erasing.
    You COULD also remove the lines, which is somewhat analogous to removing the partition on a hard drive. You create the partition, which leaves you with a blank sheet (no lines). And, you format the sheet by putting lines in place, so it can be useful for writing.