1 or 2 Velociraptors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sejanus, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any benchmarks on the 300gb velociraptors in a raid0 config?

I was thinking of buying 2 of them (the wd3000hlfs model) and having them in a raid0. Basically wondering whether to just run 1 by itself in slot #1, or if it's worth getting 2 of them at the same time.

thanks

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Do you want them because of the massive space or speed?

Because I would recommend getting an SSD for speed, dual raptors has nothing on SSDs and even one SSD can beat dual raptors when it comes to seek time and latency.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Barefeats has benchmarks on them. Go check it out. It was done a while back, but if you search their site for velociraptor, you should find it.

4. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

I need speed+space, I know SSD's are great but the intel x25's are just too small unfortunately. I'm a photog so I use a crazy amount of big apps to run my wedding business. Even with just the raptors I'll need to move a lot of my files to another drive/fileserver.

5. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, i forgot about that site. this link looks good ;

http://www.barefeats.com/hard112.html

cheers

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

No problem, that's why I was asking in the first place, many people don't realize that there are newer and faster technologies. I try to give out different options for different situations.

I know people who actually just use a 8 drive RAID0 enclosures to do the same thing that you're doing via eSATA. No velco, just regular 1TB or 2TB drives. It's much quieter, centralized and just works. You should at least check that out, however it will be much more expensive than your current plan of 2 velcos since the 8 drive enclosure would cost you just as must without any drives.

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Urgh. At 8 drives striped, the increased chances of a massive failed array suggest the use of RAID 10 at least. With 1 TB drives, that still gives you 4 GB at high speeds and decent redundancy provided you have the RAID controller to work with it.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Again, more options of course, it doesn't have to be 8xRAID0. Those type of enclosures can do RAID10 no problem. You can do 4xRAID0 setup and 4xRAID1 setup as same time. So many things you can do.

Those people i describe don't have just one 8xRAID0, they also have secondary NAS for long term storage via ethernet, IIRC they use the same 8 drive setup but in RAID1.