1 or 3 licenses?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CalBoy, Jul 17, 2007.

  1. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    So my college bookstore has Office for Mac, and it carries both 3 license($150) and single license($75) copies. I'm guessing that when Office 08 comes out, it'll carry that too. So, for now, I'm the only one who uses a Mac at home. I might be able to convince my dad or sister (or both) to buy a Mac, which means that the single license wouldn't be worth it.

    What'd you guys think? Do I take the chance and buy the 3 license set? If so, I would have to provide my dad with a good alternative to Microsoft Money (which he seems to love). Any tips?

  2. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Your dad won't be eligible for the software discount since it is for educational use only I believe...

    but what do you know, I am just a pirate...
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    Check the licenses very carefully. It is likely the licenses are for one individual with 3 machines, not for sharing amongst individuals.
  4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2006
    When Office 07/Vista came out, our college bookstore changed the entire pricing structure for those two pieces of software; I'd assume they'll change for Office '08 as well since its a "new generation." It's very possible that they will not offer the same license sets, or even the same agreements.
  5. nnick macrumors regular


    May 17, 2006
    For MS Educational licensing you can buy 1 licenses for one user and use it on up to 3 machines. It is supposed to be for your home computer, laptop, and school computer. You can only have one of these machines on at a time.

    If you buy the 3 pack you can have 3 separate users using the software on different computers at the same time.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    On the 3pack the three people have to be living under one roof. Even if they are family, it can't be shared with someone living 'away'

    Check the educational license you are being offered whether you get your own serial number, or use the Uni's site license number. If it is the uni's number, then your right to use the program typically expires when you leave school. If you are getting a full academic license, then you can use it as long as you like, but you can't sell it or transfer it to anyone else.

    In both scenarios, the software usually does not qualify for upgrade pricing on the next version -- you have to buy 200x outright again to upgrade.
  7. iSee macrumors 68040


    Oct 25, 2004
    Regarding the original question:

    I would not get the three licenses. Chances are that you won't be able to convince both your sister and dad to switch, which would mean no savings buying the three license pack over two individual licenses. Your dad, especially, seems unlikely to want to part with his existing software.

    And if you aren't able to convince even one, you'll have paid twice what you could have.
  8. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I had been weary of this. I guess I'd have to buy the "Home and Student" edition that's already been out in Office 07.

    I guess you're right about that. I was sort of hoping to make it a selling point. Oh well, he'll come around after his PC crashes again;)
  9. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    My university's webpage seems to make it seem like I get a physical disc. I have to have my student ID, but it seems to be a box with discs.

    I don't really care about upgrade costs. The way I see it, even if I paid $200 now, and $200 again later(I'll be in school for a while law school adds another 3 years), it would still be cheaper than paying for the full $400 version now and then upgrading at whatever ridiculous price Microsoft wants in three or four years.

Share This Page