+1 Phone Number in Messages App

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by theBigD23, Oct 30, 2014.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I've been receiving text from people in iMessage and regular SMS that now show a +1 xxx-xxx-xxxx for their phone number. It happens to a few people, not many. It now shows the number as without a contact, so it shows without any specific information. I haven't experienced this before. The issue is with random numbers and didn't show up until 8.1. Also, when the message is displayed in Messages for Mac, it shows the +1 there as well.

Any ideas?

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

Run Settings, then Messages then Send & Receive. Is it logged into iCloud (Apple ID is set)?

3. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but yes, it is logged in. The problem is that 95% of Messages show properly. Certain random messages are sent with a +1.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'm getting this too. iOS 8.1 6+. Show up as normal contacts on my mac but on my iPhone they show up as their phone number. And, like you, it's just for a handful of people. The majority of them show up as normal.

5. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks... looks like it is a random issue. I'll submit a bug report.

6. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

+1 and the number is not a bug or an error. Outside of the US, + symbolizes whatever is used to dial internationally, 011 in the US & 00 elsewhere. The number that follows is the country code, 1 being US and Canada. So when you see +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, it is a US number. iOS has always shown unknown numbers in this format.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

These are all local people. As I said before, they're contacts on my mac in the messages app but on my phone they show up as +1 phone numbers.

8. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

Local numbers will show as that as well. Anytime I get a call or text from an unknown local number, it has always shown with the +1

9. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My issue is with known local numbers. It should say the name of the contact, not the phone number.

10. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

If you change the contact to start with +1 then it should fix it.

11. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Tried changing the contact number to start with +1?

In any case, it should be a habit to start any contact’s phone number with a plus sign “+”.

12. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Weird, but something similar is happening to me.

In Buenos Aires, Argentina, mobile numbers start with 15 or 11. When dialing internationally, you have to type +54 (country code for Argenitna) and then 911 plus the phone number.

SMS texts forwarded to my Mac appear as +44 and the mobile number.

+44 is the international country code for the UK.

And when I reply to those text that came in with a +44 number, they are received fine.

Strange.

13. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Agreed - this is very good advice. Using +1 (or whatever your country code is) won't prevent you from calling these numbers domestically, and it ensures that if you travel with your phone all your contacts still work.

14. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Exactly!