1 purchase 2 computers ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hipsigti, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hipsigti macrumors member

If i purchase lion for my imac do i also have to purchase for macbook?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, the licence allows it to be used on all of your personal computers.

3. hipsigti thread starter macrumors member

How would i go about doing this without a disc would i have to make one ?

4. bov macrumors 6502

i'm also curious as to how to do this as well...

5. FrankHahn, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I am now calling the Apple to find out.

The salesperson I talked to could not provide me an answer (He had not encountered such a situation). When I was transferred to an expert, the telephone line was interrupted.

I guess that it all depends on if the buyer is able to download Lion for free from the App Store after buying a Mac. If the buyer can download Lion from the App Store for free, then he/she can then download Lion and make an Installation DVD or an Installation USB stick per instruction given on the FrontPage of macrumors. And then he/she can install Lion on all his/her Macs using the Installation DVD or USB stick.

I talked to a gentleman from the tech support and was told that there will be a Lion USB stick coming with a new Mac Mini (for example). But this USB stick can not be used on other Macs. However, I doubt it. If this USB stick can be used on other Macs, we can then use it to install Lion on all other owned Macs. If not, we have to purchase Lion from the App store.

Any other way out?

6. SkippyScud macrumors member

Purchase via App Store.

On your laptops or second machine, log in to the App Store and go to "Purchased" and install from there. That simple.

If your second machine does not have App Store that would be a problem and you'll need to grab the installer file off your main machine and burn it to dvd or usb (google for guides)

7. iCollector macrumors newbie

Google Lion install disc.... it is really simple.... Just do it before you do the install. I believe the files are cleaned up after the install.

I did without any issues, and used the disc to install on my MB pro.... on it right now.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Unless you have 23. I'm told up to 5. And, of course, they have to be Macs. ;)

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

up to 5? shweet, its like the family pack :D

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I cannot find a 5 computer restriction in the SLA.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok. Bad information I picked up elsewhere I guess. Thanks.

12. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

i am also wondering same thing. Is it possible to get back up disk after i installed OS X Lion? i already installed it and didn't think to make a backup of it. so is it possible to get a backup disk of it (i purchased it from app store and already instead it)

13. Pardus macrumors member

Pardus

I no you can't

I bought a new MBA and asked apple online if I could install it on my mac pro. The answer was no. Only if I bought a copy on the app store could it be shared with my own other computers. Apparently buying it pre-installed does not have the same TOA.

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I think this is a remnant of the old iTunes restriction for authorizing 5 computers to play purchased music. It was 5 for that, and for some reason, people got the number 5 in their head and it gets tossed around often.

15. nickelanddime macrumors member

Wow, I totally didnt know u can do that! I didnt think of looking at the purchases section in the app store.

Thanks guys!