Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Anyone ever see anything like this before? Safari 5.1.1 on 10.7.2, my system randomly froze up with messages in the log stating that the kernel was "Switching ON Emergency paging segment"

Obviously this is not good, so I look at the activity monitor and see that Safari was using something like 4.5 gigs of real memory, I had a decent # of tabs/windows open(nothing too much, like 30 tabs in about 5 windows), so I close the first 2 windows without a noticeable drop in ram usage, then the third one at it drops like 4 gigs. I wish I knew what I had open on that page, but I didn't check it before I closed it. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Is there any way to limit the amount of ram Safari uses for a single page? This thing almost crashed my system....

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Anyone ever see anything like this before? Safari 5.1.1 on 10.7.2, my system randomly froze up with messages in the log stating that the kernel was "Switching ON Emergency paging segment"

Obviously this is not good, so I look at the activity monitor and see that Safari was using something like 4.5 gigs of real memory, I had a decent # of tabs/windows open(nothing too much, like 30 tabs in about 5 windows), so I close the first 2 windows without a noticeable drop in ram usage, then the third one at it drops like 4 gigs. I wish I knew what I had open on that page, but I didn't check it before I closed it. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Is there any way to limit the amount of ram Safari uses for a single page? This thing almost crashed my system....

Were you video chatting? Google video usually takes about 1.5GB in Safari.. while Chrome works better.

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
I'm surely not defending Safari, but if I ever had thirty tabs open at once, someone please get me away from the computer. Shoo me outside to go take a bike ride.

Really? Thirty tabs in 5 windows as "nothing too much"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.