Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjfarsi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Are there any drives with Thunderbolt on the market yet? What are your thoughts? Worth the extra $$? I need something for my new iMac.

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There is Promise's Pegasus but the cheapest one is $999 with 4x1TB. It's available from Apple Online Store

yubbie2

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
If it's just for backup, who cares how fast it is? I went through the same dilema, but realized that unless you're doing heavy duty video work or swapping out hundreds of GB daily, you really don't need anything more than FW800, at the most.

If you're just using Time Machine on a USB2.0 external, yeah - the first backup takes a few hours (let it go overnight). After that you're talking a few minutes of background processes every hour, which you won't even notice or hear. Save your money and buy yourself more RAM and a 2nd monitor or something instead.

mjfarsi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
^ That's true.... in that case what is the best 1TB + Hard Drive for the $$. I am on a budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.