1 TB + back up (Thuderbolt options?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mjfarsi, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mjfarsi macrumors member

I just got my new 27" iMac (1 TB) and I am in need for a back up device.

I would need 1 TB - thunderbolt if possible and if it can run w/o a power cord that would be ideal.

Looking to spend around $150 or less. What is the best drive for this, where is the best place to buy?

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt enclosures haven't been released yet, unfortunately

3. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Well, this could be an option for you if you can handle having an extra power cord.

http://bit.ly/kaa0e7

4. shady28 macrumors member

Yeah, and how much you think that is going to cost him?

The 250GB version is dual SSDs, presumably dual 120 or 128s. Those by themselves cost 200-250 each, so not even including the housing and thunderbolt circuitry it's 500+.

People who are waiting for thunderbolt peripherals are going to be sorely disappointed when that thing comes out at $800.

5. PorterRocks, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

You must have not looked close enough or else you would have saw that they will have a 1TB HDD option... :rolleyes:

6. shady28 macrumors member

Good point, but I have the 1TB internal and a 1TB NAS. I would say that using a mech hdd with t-bolt will only be a marginal bump from FW 800, unless you have a striped RAID and move a lot of large files.

The big thing I want from tbolt is target disk mode,so I can boot off it and use an ssd for the OS. eSata adapter would be great, but my hopes aren't too high. I may just go with FW 800 until some good adapters come out.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk