1 TB hdd upgrade for macbook pro suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darekelec, Dec 16, 2012.

1. darekelec macrumors newbie

hi, professionals :apple:
    i would like to upgrade my 250 gig hdd to 1 TB but dont know which one
    write some suggestions, please
    do i need 7200 rpms?
    i would llove my nw hdd to be quiet and fast
    send me, please, links where to buy it so i dont overpay
    thank you so much

i have a macbook pro 13-inch, Mid 2010
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

thank you again

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Don't think anyone makes a 2.5" 1TB 7200rpm drive that'll fit in the cMBP. The ones of which I'm aware (Seagate & HP) are 15mm thick and I'm pretty sure that won't fit in the bay. Even if they would fit, they're pretty expensive as well. You may wish to try:

1. Getting a Seagate Momentus XT - you'll only have 750GB of capacity, but it will fit, it's 7200rpm, and it has 8GB of NAND flash cache which will speed up your computer significantly for your everyday tasks.

2. Getting a 128GB or 256GB SDD and creating a DIY Fusion drive - (http://tomasz.korwel.net/2012/11/04/apple-fusion-drive-on-late-2010-macbook-pro/) For best effect you can add a standard 7200rpm 750GB drive to give you the 1TB of space that you seek, and a HUGE speed boost.

You could, of course, just stick with a 5400rpm drive, but they are SOOOO SLOOOOOW. After installing the MoXTs on our laptops, using the family iMac with its 5400 rpm drive is just painful.

3. darekelec thread starter macrumors newbie

750 gig will suffice

send some links please from sellers for a nice 750 gig hdd probably 7200 rpm
    i am not a computer guy so i dont understand the cache thing. i dont wanna buy hdd with stats that my comp would not process
    1 more question;
    when i use bitorent and download at 1.5 Mb speed my internet is kinda slow. would 7200 rpm hdd fix it?

thank you for support
    D

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The denser platter of the 1TB makes up enough for me for the fact that it's 5400rpm. Although not 100% compensation for having a 7200rpm, I'm loving my 1TB HD and it's noticeably faster than my original 500GB 5400rpm. Plenty fast for me, but I guess it's because I've never used SSD's before.

I'm using a Samsung/Seagate, runs great and installation was smooth. Probably should have gotten the Western Digital, but I think the one I have will hold up just fine.