1 TB Hitachi's 319.99 @ BestBuy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joshwest, Jun 19, 2007.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

2. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Are these still first generation 1tb HD that Hitachi came out or they newer models. Thats really nice that they dropped by $100 I am waiting for them to drop to $200

3. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Seagate and samsung just released 1tb drives today. Samsung better. 334gb per platter vs hitachi 200gb per platter.

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

macenforcer - any links on the SAMSUNG drives - I have not been able to find them yet?

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

6. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I know 319.99 is expensive but the competitors where announcing selling 1tb for 300+. I think this $100 drop is awesome because its pressuring the new 1tb to drop. My friend told me there should be a HD price drop during mid summer, maybe after mid July.

7. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Engadget

Samsung: 334gb per platter with 3 platters 16mb cache
    Seagate: 250gb per platter with 4 platters 16mb cache
    Hitachi: 200gb per platter with 5 platters 32mb cache

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Thanks - the SAMSUNG is of interest. My Mac Pro is so quiet that the hard drives are the noisy part :) On a somewhat serious note - my 150 GB Raptor boot drive is a bit loud.

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I just got the 750gb seagate. Loud seeks. I am looking forward to the samsung. They are always the cheapest and quietest. Plus, they will have an advantage with less heat and speed with the high densithy platters.

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I'm Targeting $250 As A Best Price Although This Is Very Tempting

Just off the Binge buying five 750's Friday for $200 each, I guess $250 would be the price for me to change out all of these for those. Anyone know the NET size after formatting? Still more than 930GB?

The 32MB cache only in the Hitach makes me want that brand.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

We know you meant GB... but probably not after get that 750 Seagate which topped off at just under 700GBs I don't know where the heck 50GBs went but with 250 more GB it might be around 910GB at best maybe less.

But then again I don't have one so I will wait for someone who does to post.

12. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

How much is the Samsung version?

13. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Chalk one up for Samsung in the hard disc derby, catching up to rivals Hitachi and Seagate with the Samsung F1 series hard drive with a vast 1TB of storage space. Just look at that beauty, boys. The big news is its simplicity, packing the world's highest recording density on a 3.5-inch hard disk, using just three platters to get to that gargantuan 1TB capacity. Yeah, less is more. It's fast, spinning at 7200rpm and has a 32MB cache. It'll be going for a relatively cheap price, too, at $399.

- Gizmodo

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Stay away from DeathStar even if Hitachi bought them out from IBM.

I personally like WD...Seagate is really nice and reliable, but their recent perpendiculars (7200.9 series) are really loud and vibrate your whole computer....but they are really fast.

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Google found failure rates on deskstars aren't any higher than any other drive.

Deathstars got a bad rap because of the notoriously failure-prone 75GXP--a 75GB drive; so you know how long ago that was. Also, they're a bit more sensitive to high temperatures.

People who don't know how to keep their HDs cool are always the biggest whiners on the little 'comments' sections of retailers' web pages.

Nowadays, the rates aren't any higher than other drives. I've had a couple deskstars work for a decade without failure.

That said, I still prefer seagate--they're usually cheaper, tougher (more immune to heat), and cooler (produce less heat).

Western Digitals suck tons of power and get mega-hot.. but it's weird: they seem to be more resilient to heat.

16. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Thats a good point out of 1tb how much would really remain 900gigs?

Has anyone purchase these things and done some testing to share on the forums because it seems like we are in the first generation of the TB HD.

Also what comes after TB? XenaByte

17. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

That is a good deal, sadly I don't touch Hitachi, Samsung, or Maxtor drives...

I've never had a Seagate die on me except for my laptop but I kinda um... bumped it really hard once so thats understandable.

In desktop machines I've had one Western Digital die, at least two or three Maxtors, at work I've seen more Hitachi drives die than I'd care to count and according to many of my IT friends, Dell used Samsung drives for a while and they had to replace those almost monthly.

Seagate Barracudas or Western Digital Raptors. Period.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Petabyte. ;)

19. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I am with you.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

Get out a calculator and do it yourself. It's about 0.91 terabytes of actual space, then subtract some for some overhead involved. Manufacturers count terabytes as being 10^12 bytes while every other sane person counts it as 2^40. Some idiots don't realize this and actually go as far as to sue the manufacturers, which I think is really stupid considering how the discrepancy in counting sizes is printed all over the box - all over hard drives, all over iPods, all over anything that has a hard drive..

I saw a 500gb seagate on newegg for $100, free shipping. I'd rather go for 2 of those and save $120, I guess.

21. amc382 macrumors regular

ooh...

of course the really good part of that is it means i can get a 500gig drive for around or even less than $100.

22. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Has anybody found the SAMSUNGs available anywhere??

23. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

And you can RAID0 them and get faster speeds.

24. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

1TB HD. Wow... I was still thinking about the possibility of upgrading my iMac to a 320GB HD rather than the stock 160, which I find to be inadequate.