Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
Honestly I don’t understand the need for 1 TB of space on a iPhone with cloud storage today. What am I missing in terms of use cases where that kind of storage would be helpful? Really interested in understanding. Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Cloud storage = 0 when internet is down. That’s it’s biggest disadvantage (that can never overcome). Besides that, cloud storage access will always be slower no matter what.

Plus, micromanage storage space is a waste of time.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I'm willing to get 1TB, but USB 2.0 speed is going to be pain in the !@# with 1TB.
While I use various cloud solutions, I like to have bigger sized storage in case I can't access cloud through wifi.

Reactions: adam1080

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm willing to get 1TB, but USB 2.0 speed is going to be pain in the !@# with 1TB.
While I use various cloud solutions, I like to have bigger sized storage in case I can't access cloud through wifi.
I suspect Apple’s another intention to not incorporate USB-C is to create enough frustration among user bases and suddenly they remove the ports tons of people will breathe fresh air knowing slow “wired” (intentionally gimped) connection has been long gone, justifying their actions.

Reactions: Wesmosis

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I suspect Apple’s another intention to not incorporate USB-C is to create enough frustration among user bases and suddenly they remove the ports tons of people will breathe fresh air knowing slow “wired” (intentionally gimped) connection has been long gone, justifying their actions.
Is there a wireless transfer protocol faster than even that USB2 Lightning interface?

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Honestly I don’t understand the need for 1 TB of space on a iPhone with cloud storage today. What am I missing in terms of use cases where that kind of storage would be helpful? Really interested in understanding. Thanks
Because of 4K ProRes files. They are big files.

Reactions: MacLappy

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Cloud storage = 0 when internet is down. That’s it’s biggest disadvantage (that can never overcome). Besides that, cloud storage access will always be slower no matter what.

Plus, micromanage storage space is a waste of time.

And precious memories = 0 when you loose your phone with everything stored on it. I have a 128gb 12 pro max. I shoot a lot of photos and some video. Nearly a year later and I still have 50gb of free space.

But I won’t deny there are use cases for it. Namely content creators.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And precious memories = 0 when you loose your phone with everything stored on it. I have a 128gb 12 pro max. I shoot a lot of photos and some video. Nearly a year later and I still have 50gb of free space.

But I won’t deny there are use cases for it. Namely content creators.
That boils down to backup, be it in the cloud or local backup. I’m just saying large local storage being useless is definitely not the case and cloud storage can’t replace local storage, at least in a more general sense.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Wifi 6. 1200MB/s, 20x faster than USB2 speed.
Your point that current/latest Wi-Fi standards are faster, thus a plausible alternative to wired is correct. However, the difference is not that much. I’ve seen both ~1200 and ~2400 Mbps (not MBps) capabilities on 5GHz 802.11ax. Protocol overhead aside, that’s 2.5x and 5x faster than USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). Even my few year old dual-band router can theoretically transfer up to 1625 Mbps using 802.11ac on the 5GHz band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.