1 TB optical discs coming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ToomeyND, Mar 16, 2014.

1. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

Pretty incredible. There isn't a lot of detail here, but I'm sure it's out there.

http://wonderfulengineering.com/goodbye-to-blu-ray-sony-and-panasonic-release-1tb-optical-discs/

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

It all come down to pricing. Companies like to have data backed up in in a solid media. Using hard drives or cloud services are not reliable.

I work a tv stations and they would like to back up everything on a disc, probably having 3 discs with the same info stored in 3 different places. As long the drives does it fast and the media is cheap, it will work.

3. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

For fun, let's assume they are read/write items. How much do you people think is fair for the price of a single read/write TB disc?

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The optical disks are too slow in comparison with HDDs and SSDs. They are only good for use in backing up data.

6. shaunp macrumors 65816

Would be good as an archive for professional photographers.

7. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

looks amazing, would love to be able to stick one on my network and use it for backing up everything.

photographs, Videos, etc.

8. ToomeyND thread starter macrumors 6502

But that is the point of these. To be able to back up 1 TB of data on a relatively secure format. And I would guess (hope) that each disk costs much less than a comparable 1 TB drive, making it more cost effective when multiple backups are required.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Pretty funny, the disks are transparent. I can totally see dude A putting all their important stuff on one of these and dude B comes along, mistakes it for a DVD spindle cover and tosses it!

10. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

In other words, the PS5 will use these discs, and if I have a 4K monitor/TV by then, I will need to rebuy my Bluray collection, which isn't that large and I am finding I got zero need for the 98% of my DVD collection :D

11. RedCroissant Suspended

Fun but how much space will it save?

Ultimately, having information on a disc will save space, but what kind of hardware is going to be required to burn the information onto the disc and with how many lasers to reach the multi-layered transparent disc?

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I think the hardware for this disc is going to be larger than external HDD enclosures (portable or desktop).

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Hmmmm we have 2.5 inch drives that handle a terabyte in both electro-mechanical (standard drives) and SSD starting to come down in price with similar volumes. This should get interesting over the next 3 years or so.

13. abnerhawkins macrumors newbie

abnerhawkins

It sounds interesting and just wanna say good buy to blu-ray discs. Give big-ups for sharing.