1 TB PCIe SSD price 1-2 years from now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphoneZ, Oct 27, 2013.

1. iphoneZ macrumors regular

Anyone care to project what the prices for 3rd party PCIe SSD replacements for the new rMBP will be in 1-2 years from now? 512GB should be sufficient for me for the next year but after that I might want to upgrade.

At $500 more for the extra 500GB the 1TB drive from Apple is pretty expensive. But since no one produces replacements yet I'm not sure what to expect for the price down the road.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's a tough call how much prices will drop. I doubt it will drop enough for it to be worth the hassle saving the money now and upgrading later. Especially since an upgrade could void your Warranty/AppleCare. Nor will it probably save you that much money overall. SSD prices have not been dropping that fast. The manufacturers will find a way to keep the prices up like they are doing with RAM right now.

3. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing. I need a 1TB drive, but after tax a $3100 machine (Edu discount) worries me. One drop and down the drain that goes...

4. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

Perhaps the PCIe SSDs in general would come down a bit, but I think only OWC sells aftermarket SSDs for Apple proprietary computers, and well... their prices are a bit high(and I doubt the stock drives on ebay would come down much either...). And their prices of the SSDs for the past MBA's haven't budged that much recently.

I'd say go with stock upgrade as well.