1 thing Apple should have done

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I think Apple should have had a feature where you can quit the program by just pressing the red button. I've heard that that was one thing that many previous Windows users did not like. As default, it would not quit the program, but for people who want it to quit, you can enable it in the preferences. I just think that it's something Apple should have done. I personally wouldn't use it, but I know a lot of people would.

What do you guys think?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I hate that idea.
Not because its a bad idea, or cause I'm a dick, but because that isn't how the Mac OS works. Never has, and never should.

Comment

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
The purpose of this is to greatly decrease application start up times, and in Safari's case, simply having multiple windows open is more efficient then having multiple Safari's open... if I explained that right.

There's no reason to do this. It's one of the biggest things that bog Winblows down.

Only a few Apps actually quit when you close the window, such as iPhoto and the God-awful Windows Media Player for Mac.

Comment

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I hate that idea.
Not because its a bad idea, or cause I'm a dick, but because that isn't how the Mac OS works. Never has, and never should.
At least it would be better than the inconsistent mess that we have now. Either way is OK with me, as long as you are consistent about it. Right now some apps close with the red button and some do not; some are single-window and some are multi-window. I think the red button should either close ALL or NONE.

Comment

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I think Apple should have had a feature where you can quit the program by just pressing the red button. I've heard that that was one thing that many previous Windows users did not like. As default, it would not quit the program, but for people who want it to quit, you can enable it in the preferences. I just think that it's something Apple should have done. I personally wouldn't use it, but I know a lot of people would.

What do you guys think?
Note that you said windows users, not OSX users. Why should apple change the functionality that all OSX users are accustomed to for new ex-windows users?

Never mind the fact that it is better that it doesn't close the application, as you use OSX more you will come to realise that Apple got it right on this one. You might be used to the windows way of doing it, but that doesn't make it better.

Comment

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
At least it would be better than the inconsistent mess that we have now. Either way is OK with me, as long as you are consistent about it. Right now some apps close with the red button and some do not; some are single-window and some are multi-window. I think the red button should either close ALL or NONE.
Well, ALL or ONE, to be more precise :)

I vote one, as is the common behavior. The menu bar is the master of all windows for an application, and where the ability to quit the app belongs. The red X bubble should only be about the window, since that's what it's attached to, and lots of apps are multi-window.

Comment

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
But how does that make things better? When you close the System Preferences it wouldn't quit. Yet if you did it for Safari it would quit, or Photoshop, or Firefox, or Quark, or MS Office. It makes sense for it to be applied to some but not all. Any app that does quit when the red button is clicked are the exception. Most (nearly all) programs remain open when the last window is closed.

List 5 or more if you can (excluding Sys Prefs).

Comment

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
But how does that make things better? When you close the System Preferences it wouldn't quit. Yet if you did it for Safari it would quit, or Photoshop, or Firefox, or Quark, or MS Office. It makes sense for it to be applied to some but not all. Any app that does quit when the red button is clicked are the exception. Most (nearly all) programs remain open when the last window is closed.

List 5 or more if you can (excluding Sys Prefs).

Apps that close when the last window is closed:

Apple:
iPhoto
iWeb
Photo Booth
iSync
iMovie
DVD Player
Backup
Dictionary
Calculator

3rd Party:
Gsenger
Wallet
SuperDuper!
Remote Desktop Connection
MacTheRipper

Just to name a few I have installed :)

Comment

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
It took me all of a day to get used to the fact that closing the window doesn't close the application. But like the above poster, I only ever use the shortcuts.

Comment

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Apps that close when the last window is closed:

Apple:
iPhoto
iWeb
Photo Booth
iSync
iMovie
DVD Player
Backup
Dictionary
Calculator

3rd Party:
Gsenger
Wallet
SuperDuper!
Remote Desktop Connection
MacTheRipper

Just to name a few I have installed :)
Sweet. Now can you patch your head and rub your belly?
Really all of those quit on the last close? Huh, maybe I am just minimizing all the time to never notice.

Comment

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Sweet. Now can you patch your head and rub your belly?
Really all of those quit on the last close? Huh, maybe I am just minimizing all the time to never notice.
Actually, I was shocked. I only know because I just checked all of them. I was really surprised how many have that behavior. I absolutely always use keyboard shortcuts, so I wouldn't have ever noticed if not for this thread.

Comment

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I love the way it is now. I'm so used to it that I accidentally close applications all the time when I have to work in Windows.

Comment

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
To me it only seems logical that some apps quit. They are single-windowed, and often are there for a single task that you do and do not often quickly need again after you close it.

Comment

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I love the way it is now. I'm so used to it that I accidentally close applications all the time when I have to work in Windows.
Then you are also accidentally closing apps if you use any of the ones listed above. All I want is consistency! Yes, it may be the "norm" that single-window apps close and multi-window apps do not close, but it is far from reality. And n o, keyboard shortcuts are not the answer, since they have the same problem. Close the last tab in Safari with Cmd-W and it also closes the window (I like that), but the same Cmd-W in FireFox only closes the tab and leaves the window open (you must use the red X to close the window). Consistency please!

Comment

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
When I switched over (almost 2 years now) it took me a little bit to get used to it. I don't see any problem with it and actually have come to love it.

I think it would be bad form for Apple to change this.

Comment

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
The idea behind this is that if a window Needs or uses more than one window, it wont close when you hit the red button, but if it dose not need more than one window, it will quit when you click the red button, and stay cached in "inactive" memory until you load it again.

Comment

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
The idea behind this is that if a window Needs or uses more than one window, it wont close when you hit the red button, but if it dose not need more than one window, it will quit when you click the red button, and stay cached in "inactive" memory until you load it again.
That's the idea, but it's not the reality (not even within Apple).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.