1 thing Apple should have done

Discussion in 'macOS' started by California King, Oct 30, 2007.

1. California King macrumors 65816

I think Apple should have had a feature where you can quit the program by just pressing the red button. I've heard that that was one thing that many previous Windows users did not like. As default, it would not quit the program, but for people who want it to quit, you can enable it in the preferences. I just think that it's something Apple should have done. I personally wouldn't use it, but I know a lot of people would.

What do you guys think?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about a multi-window application like Safari?

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hate that idea.
    Not because its a bad idea, or cause I'm a dick, but because that isn't how the Mac OS works. Never has, and never should.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Also, it's a bad idea.

5. iTim314 macrumors 6502

The purpose of this is to greatly decrease application start up times, and in Safari's case, simply having multiple windows open is more efficient then having multiple Safari's open... if I explained that right.

There's no reason to do this. It's one of the biggest things that bog Winblows down.

Only a few Apps actually quit when you close the window, such as iPhoto and the God-awful Windows Media Player for Mac.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

At least it would be better than the inconsistent mess that we have now. Either way is OK with me, as long as you are consistent about it. Right now some apps close with the red button and some do not; some are single-window and some are multi-window. I think the red button should either close ALL or NONE.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Note that you said windows users, not OSX users. Why should apple change the functionality that all OSX users are accustomed to for new ex-windows users?

Never mind the fact that it is better that it doesn't close the application, as you use OSX more you will come to realise that Apple got it right on this one. You might be used to the windows way of doing it, but that doesn't make it better.

8. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well, ALL or ONE, to be more precise :)

I vote one, as is the common behavior. The menu bar is the master of all windows for an application, and where the ability to quit the app belongs. The red X bubble should only be about the window, since that's what it's attached to, and lots of apps are multi-window.

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Terrible idea. Probably the worst idea I've heard in the last 15 to 20 years.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

But how does that make things better? When you close the System Preferences it wouldn't quit. Yet if you did it for Safari it would quit, or Photoshop, or Firefox, or Quark, or MS Office. It makes sense for it to be applied to some but not all. Any app that does quit when the red button is clicked are the exception. Most (nearly all) programs remain open when the last window is closed.

List 5 or more if you can (excluding Sys Prefs).

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Who uses the red close button anyway?

Cmd+W to close a window or Cmd+Q to quit an application. It's perfect the way it is.

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Apps that close when the last window is closed:

Apple:
    iPhoto
    iWeb
    Photo Booth
    iSync
    iMovie
    DVD Player
    Backup
    Dictionary
    Calculator

3rd Party:
    Gsenger
    Wallet
    SuperDuper!
    Remote Desktop Connection
    MacTheRipper

Just to name a few I have installed :)

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It took me all of a day to get used to the fact that closing the window doesn't close the application. But like the above poster, I only ever use the shortcuts.

14. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sweet. Now can you patch your head and rub your belly?
    Really all of those quit on the last close? Huh, maybe I am just minimizing all the time to never notice.

15. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was shocked. I only know because I just checked all of them. I was really surprised how many have that behavior. I absolutely always use keyboard shortcuts, so I wouldn't have ever noticed if not for this thread.

16. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I love the way it is now. I'm so used to it that I accidentally close applications all the time when I have to work in Windows.

17. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Ooh, ooh, I know! Microsoft should change Windows to match OS X :)

18. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

To me it only seems logical that some apps quit. They are single-windowed, and often are there for a single task that you do and do not often quickly need again after you close it.

19. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

They have for the most part :cool: :D

Nuc

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Then you are also accidentally closing apps if you use any of the ones listed above. All I want is consistency! Yes, it may be the "norm" that single-window apps close and multi-window apps do not close, but it is far from reality. And n o, keyboard shortcuts are not the answer, since they have the same problem. Close the last tab in Safari with Cmd-W and it also closes the window (I like that), but the same Cmd-W in FireFox only closes the tab and leaves the window open (you must use the red X to close the window). Consistency please!

21. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

danny, a window not closing with Cmd+W is a bug.

22. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

When I switched over (almost 2 years now) it took me a little bit to get used to it. I don't see any problem with it and actually have come to love it.

I think it would be bad form for Apple to change this.

23. Bigtree macrumors 6502

24. Samwise592 macrumors regular

The idea behind this is that if a window Needs or uses more than one window, it wont close when you hit the red button, but if it dose not need more than one window, it will quit when you click the red button, and stay cached in "inactive" memory until you load it again.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

That's the idea, but it's not the reality (not even within Apple).