1 thing that still irks me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billmister, Sep 15, 2007.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

hey everyone, quick question. I think that still earks me that i can not understand from my switch from windows.

ok here's the thing.
    Example: Windows Operating System
    say i have 40 gigs used up and 60 left. That means i have 100gigs on my hard drive. (forget the 1024mb = gig) Anyway, say i delete two things from add/remove programs, 2 video clips, and 5 songs. Empty my recyclin bin. Now i most likely have like 34.7 gigs used up.

Where as in the mac...
    i have 4 gigs upsed up and 60 left. That means i have 100 gigs on my hard drive. I delete two programs, 2 video clips and 5 songs. Then empty my bin. HERE no i have like 3.98gigs used up. Or in some cases nothing gets lowered.

I don't understand it. Since i transfered all of my songs from my windows, downloaded msn messenger and limewire, on my windows i always maintained at 40 gigs used up. And anytime i went over by 10 gigs or so, i would delete a couple of things and i would be able to see it when i right click my "c:\" drive and i would see the difference in my available space.

Here in my mac from what i can remember, i had about 38 gigs used after i installed msn messenger, limewires, firefox, photoshopp and ms office, i think i had about 46 gigs or something to that amount. something i still was comfortable with since here i have 148 gigs free, where as my windows i had 80 gig hard drive.

So from what i know all i did was purchase bout 5 songs from itunes, did 1 movie with imovie HD, and sent it to idvd. Then downloaded about 150 pics from my florida vacation. And that's about it.. DIdn't install any new software exept senuti.

NOW i have used 81.46GB and only have 67.27 Available..... ?????????
    I didn't put anything else on my computer. The one thing i don't undestand mac is why when i delete things it doesn't bring down my used space?

I know, I know, i read to erase the additional languages, etc... But i beleive i should have to. Since i had those additional languages to start with when i had about 40 gigs of hard drive.

Anyway i decided delete songs i don't listen to anymore. I take a look at my used space, and it only went down .12 ??????

I have NOT installed anthing additional, can someone please tell me where is all my space going? Why is this not like windows in that way.

It's like my used space keeps increasing but i'm not installing anything additional. That is one of the MAIN reasons why i'm holding back on getting a macbook.

I wanted to purchase a simple basic macbook to keep some of my photos, music, and documents. By simple i mean that standard macbook they offered. But that offers 80 gig hard drive. At this pace i feel like that 80 gig will fill up in less than a year. I mean everything i have on this computer and in my windows i had 40 gigs used. Why here is it DOUBLE. 81.46?

I just don't get it.

Can someone recomend a software for me to use to see what is using up all of my space. So i can delete what i really don't use.

Another thing, i heard that if you delete things it doesn't free up space. How can i delete stuff and REALLY eliminate it from my computer so i can have free space. Instead of waiting for things to write over it, i wanted it deleted and removed to free up space.

Please suggest or recommend something. This is one thing that is preventing me from getting a laptop. I don't know where i'm using all this space. i just want to see what i have on my computer and not additional space being used. And when i delete say 20 songs i want to see GIGS go down from used space like in windows.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

There is your problem.

Digital video takes up about 13GBs for 1 hour of footage. Delete the project file and you will get your hard drive space back.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Whew. That's a long post.

First: There is no difference in the way that the Mac OS recovers drive space when you delete something, vs. Windows. If you delete 4 Gb, and empty the Trash, you get 4 Gb back.
    Your problem is not a Mac OS problem.

So there's something else going on. Either you didn't delete what you thought (for example, deleted aliases rather than the source files, or deleted from within a program that deleted only the reference, not the source file)

or maybe you have a runaway log file, temp file or other file which is eating up drive space.

WhatSize is a program that can help you identify large files on your drive.

Report back what you find

Edit: Or what Cromulent said ^ You're using a program that generates much larger files than you imagined.

Edit: Sorry, gotta do it: "irks"

4. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek::eek::eek:

I deleted my Vacation to florida footge and it eliminated, 27GB's!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i'm at 54.16. And i deleted my Trash... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last question. I hear that one can use the "secure delete trash" 7 TIMES the whole time they own the computer?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No need to secure delete trash at all, unless you are selling the computer.

Are you asking if secure delete trash only works 7 times and then stops working???

Man, you need to stop listening to the places you 'hear' things from .

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security/

6. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try that program out to see what else it can do for me... Thank you both with your responces.

thanks guys

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Also sometimes, depending on what method you are using to check for remaining disk space, an out of date value might be given. For example, I know if on the desktop you have selected "Show Item Info" from View Options, the value given next to the drive doesn't update very regularly.

Up to date value are given at the bottom of finder windows and in Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities).

8. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW i didn't know that... Thank you. I'm glad i asked... Just finished telling my girlfriend in the other room (she had macbook)..

What can i say.. i'm happy to own a mac!:D

9. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow Great programs.. Just tried it out... Turns out i had ANOTHER imovie that i did when i first got my computer... Forgot about this one.. Well guess what guys, i'm back to 40.65 GB..

Thank you very much guys!!!