1 Week of Mac: My Thoughts So Far

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ross.32, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I got my first Mac about a week ago, and I absolutely love it. When my girlfriend needed a computer a few months ago, I had her get a Mac so I could use it until I got my own, so I am familiar with the OS.

There are really only a few things that I do not like or think that can be improved (well there is always room for improvement, but nothing that I really need). Most of the things that I do not like have to do with Front Row and iTunes.

First of all, Front Row playback needs to be linked with iTunes like it was in Tiger. It is annoying to start up Front Row only to have it stop the music so I have to go find again. Also, a dedicated repeat and shuffle setting in Front Row are needed. I know you can click shuffle songs at the beginning of the playlist, but if manually select a song, it resorts to playing in order. If I am just missing these somewhere please let me know.

I like how Front Row can play VIDEO_TS folders, but it would be really nice to be able to add them to iTunes as well (so you could add tags, covers, etc.). Putting movies that are in iTunes in the Movies folder instead of Music would be nice too.

Also, Aperture support in Front Row without having to go through iPhoto is a must.

Another small thing that would be welcomed in iTunes is the AND OR NOT logic that is present in Spotlight for the search and smart playlists feature. I would like to make a playlist that finds the artists 'Creed OR Alter Bridge OR Scott Stapp" and has a comment of P/L (my marking I use to put songs in smart playlists), but I can't do it.

After a week of my own Mac, I only really have one question. What exactly is File Vault? I know that it encrypts my files, but what exactly does that mean?

Well thats it for me
    thanks
    ross

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

To the best of my knowledge - it encrypts your files - so that if the computer was stolen / hacked - or the files were copied somehow - they could not easily be used without your Login and Password keychain (which form an "encryption / decryption" key)

If you don't NEED it - I'd say don't activate - as it can be a royal PITA sometimes. (my login that has it always gives me the prompt to "recover space, because file vault is using a lot of it) - and I've never been able to shut that off.

3. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. kostia macrumors regular

Use multiple smart playlists to do this. Once you hit upon this technique you can do pretty much anything.

Create a smart playlist where artist is Creed or Alter Bridge or Scott Stapp (it should say "meets any of the following"). We'll call this "Playlist1" as an example.

Create a SECOND smart playlist that meets ALL of the following: comment contains P/L *and* playlist is Playlist1.

This new second smart playlist will contain the songs that meet the criteria you want.

5. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow that is a great idea. I never knew about the Playlist category in the Smart Playlist criteria. Thanks!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

File Vault encrypts your entire Home folder into an encrypted image.

If you lose your password, or if the image gets corrupted in any way, your files are all gone. Forever.

Use it if you absolutely need to and regularly back up your files.

Otherwise, create encrypted disk images for your private files and leave File Vault off.

7. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I agree with big-tdi-guy about File Vault. If you don't have a legit need for it I'd leave it alone. He's right about what it does too. If you've signed out of your account a thief wouldn't be able to read the contents of your File Vault protected user directory.

If you have certain files you'd like to protect with encryption you can create an encrypted DMG file with Disk Utility and drag the sensitive stuff in as needed. Make sure you don't add the password to the keychain.

You can also encrypt files from the command line (it's quicker) or using a widget.

8. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not to worried about people stealing my files. I am a college student, so I all have are a few papers, songs, videos, and pictures. Nothing anyone is going to want. Plus, a password is required to wake from sleep, so I don't have anything to worry about. No File Vault for me.

Thanks

9. termina3 macrumors 65816

Control

10. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

:D No she wanted one too. But I wanted her to have one as much as she wanted one.