1-week old 2G refurb faulty - where do I stand?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RobMoss, Aug 28, 2009.

1. RobMoss macrumors regular

Hi all,

Last weekend, I collected a refurbed 2G from the Apple store, having been swapped out after my old one was diagnosed with a battery fault. Now, I have just tried to sync it with iTunes, and it doesn't show up or charge...

I'll go through all the different options, but where do I stand with getting this fixed/replaced at the Apple store..? I appreciate that the original warranty period for the old iPhone is long-gone, but surely if Apple replace it with a refurb, I should expect it to work for more than a week..?

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Go back and get it swapped for another refurb? I don't get what the issue is :confused:

3. RobMoss thread starter macrumors regular

The issue is will they swap it for free if it seems to be a different fault..? I don't think the refurb would have a year's warranty would it..?

Anyway, reinstalling iTunes and using a different cable seems to have fixed it, so it's academic.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Glad you got it worked out! :) Just for future reference, the refurb does "start over" the warranty. It'll have it's own 1 year warranty, so if anything happens, you're good to exchange it again.

5. RobMoss thread starter macrumors regular

6. teaguecole macrumors member

I have gone through a couple replacements and I have checked my warranty status online with each of the replacements and it never extended my warranty from my original phone.

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Each iphone has a unique serial number. They can't transfer the serial number of one iphone to another. So when you check the serial number online, it should show the status of the current phones serial number warranty. Not the previous phone. It doesn't matter if it's a refurb or new.

8. teaguecole macrumors member

Yes I understand that, but my warranty still isn't refreshed. I don't know how it works but some how when you get a replacement your warranty does not get extended. Have you actually replaced your phone, checked the warranty and seen that it has been refreshed to a full new year warranty?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It doesn't get a new full-year warranty. It gets the remainder of your previous phone's warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer. So if you have more than three months remaining, there will be no change in your warranty when you get a replacement; if you have less than three months, it will extend to 90 days.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This is absolutely correct, I wonder where you heard the warranty starts over UngratefulNinja?

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know where he heard it either, but just imagine if it were true: every iPhone user in the land would be flooding the Apple stores with trumped-up complaints seeking a replacement every 364 days!

12. teaguecole macrumors member

He didn't, he just assumed. haha

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I did assume, based on the dates of my refurb but I was obviously mistaken. Sorry! :eek: