Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
I got a new 5k iMac (late 2015 27" iMac 3.3GHz 8GB (will add more), 2TB fushion, M395) just over a week ago. I was rather dismayed therefore that while I was using it the screen froze. I could move my mouse, but it could not do anything. I decided to wait it out (ended up being almost an hour in total). Sometimes the mouse pointer would disappear, sometimes it would be huge, and it stopped moving. The time also stopped changing on the clock. I left it for a while, when I came back the screen was black. Moving the mouse did nothing. I pressed the power button and it would seem it had probably been sleeping I couldn't wake it (since mouse / keyboard wasn't reacting). I forced a reboot. It seems to be okay now. I called Applecare and they just got me to delete some caches, etc. I didn't think of it until yesterday to look in the logs (the crash was two days previous). In the log during that time were several entries like this:

13:02:58.487271 -0500 DumpGPURestart com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.gpuRestart
com.apple.message.signature: Kernel
com.apple.message.signature2: UNBUNDLED ||| kernel ((null))
com.apple.message.signature3: UNKNOWN
com.apple.message.result: noop
com.apple.message.summarize: YES

At the time of freeze I was attempting to switch applications via the dock. Certainly nothing intensive. I had been using Aperture to import some images (sorry I just can't like Photos app). So I realize there is a chance that (unsupported) Aperture might be to blame. I'm just concerned that it might be a hardware thing and I want to figure that out before my 15 days are up. Is there something I can do to check it out or should I just try Apple again?

Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say keep using the iMac and see if the computer crashes again, but I'd avoid using Aperture just because it may be the cause.

Are you on Sierra? Could be a bug in the OS as well

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
In all honesty it sounds like a GPU issue, especially with what symptoms you mentioned. As maflynn suggested, it's always worth updating the OS if you haven't already, or try to isolate if there's a specific app that's causing the problem. But definitely get a booking at an Apple Store for them to run some graphics tests.

Almost every Mac since 2008 with a dGPU has had some form of graphics repair program or high failure rate. I've seen more and more 5Ks failing as of late. I suspect it'll be a similar story.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Yes I'm on Sierra (with latest updates). I've been using Photos etc (and stopped using Aperture) and it hasn't misbehaved again.

I called AppleCare last night. They said since I hear the chime when I start the iMac there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Hmmmm. The only suggestion they gave was that I reinstall the OS (which I have). I'm wondering if I should try something like Furmark to test / stress the gpu.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes I'm on Sierra (with latest updates). I've been using Photos etc (and stopped using Aperture) and it hasn't misbehaved again.
I've read two things, first Sierra has some video drivers that have given people headaches, but also that Aperture does have issues with Sierra.

I recommend checking out Lightroom, or Capture One, there's other photo management apps, Lightroom is the industry leader, but its on a subscription based model, which I don't like. I'm trying out Capture One and that appears to be the most Aperture like and its highly customizable interface allows you to change it the way you want it to work.

C1 has a trial (as does LR), so I recommend downloading and trying it out

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
My view - save yourself the hassle and take it back from the point of purchase. There have been waaaaay too many GPU issues over the years and its one hassle you don't want to get involved in, especially if its a week old and you're within your rights to get a brand new replacement.

Apple won't give you any issue if you bought from them direct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.