1 Week Old Computer... Have to Buy iLife Again!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chelsel, Aug 8, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

Do I understand this correctly? My computer is only a week old and now I have to pay to get iLife 08? Is there a free upgrade period... I mean, even Microsoft isn't that sheisty... they were offering free Vista upgrades to people that purchased XP for about two months before they released Vista...

Do the 'new' MBPs already have iLife 08 installed? What is the best way to fake a problem with the machine to get a free replacement? Just kidding... I would never do that ;-)

Thanks!

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

3. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Yup, that's right. Only computers that were bought on the 7th or later that DON'T have iLife 08 already are able to be upgraded to 08 for the cost of the media.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Someone here said they bought a mac about 2 weeks ago, called to inquire about getting the upgrade for free, and got it. However, YMMV Im sure.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You might be able to get iLife '08 for $10. Look here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate

Even though it says you have to have bought the computer on/after August 7th, in the past I've found they have a little bit of leeway, and have got the cheap deal on a machine bought 2 weeks prior to the cut off date.

6. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

7. mpw Guest

It is right, proper and correct that you didn't and won't get iLife free with the computer you bought last week, but that doesn't mean you can't return it and then buy a current machine.

8. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I bought my MacBook Pro on July 19th and I received it on August 3rd. I called up Apple Sales Support last night and the supervisor approved the exception that I could get iLife '08 for $10. It is always worth a shot, so I would at least call them up and try.

9. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

"It is right, proper and correct" !! Who are you... I know what the "rules" are... but I'm looking at the most efficient way around them... and I will get around them... :)

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!

10. mpw Guest

The guy you asked:
    So why ask:
    ?:confused:
    The most efficient way would be to walk into a store that stocks iLife'08 pick it up and walk out. Oviously as you've no intention of paying for it this method, while efficient is neither legal or without some risk.
    Ooooo I'm sure you will, I bet you're all cunning and clever and stuff.:cool:
    Oh no need to thank me at all, I only answered the question you asked.:rolleyes:

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

To the OP, this may have been the person I was talking about, not sure. Never know what they'll say til you call and ask.

12. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

i went on the apple ilife update site and did the qualifier thing using the serial number for my mbp and put down that i bought it on august 7 even though i bought it on july 10 and the update was put into the cart. I thought that they would keep track of the serial numbers and date of purchases to prevent this from happening.

i also tried it with the actual of date of purchase and it didn't say it was unqualified it just said something in red above where you enter the date about correcting the fields marked in red.

13. RedBarchetta macrumors member

here is my thing. I ordered my computer July 26th. However it did NOT ship until the 8th of August. WHat are the chances iLife '08 is on it?

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

It's possible

15. Kawasaki macrumors member

Interesting....