1 Wired, 1 Wireless-need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jen423, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Jen423 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac which is wired to a DSL modem thing from the local phone company. Works fine.

I recently was given an iBook which has Airport and today I tested it at work (since we have wireless) and was able to access the internet wirelessly with no problems.

However, I want to be able to use the iBook at home to access the internet but I don't want to screw up the iMac but hooking up something that will interfere with my current home set up. The iMac does not have Airport and I don't need that particular machine to be wireless. Mostly my husband wants to use the iBook when he's working elsewhere in the house on his sports card collection. And, we'd like to take the iBook with us when we go places.

Anyhow, any advice on what I need to purchase to use my iBook wirelessly at home? Thanks!

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The best solution would be to add a router to your setup. They're easy to install won't mess up anything. Just make sure you get one that is wireless but also has some ethernet ports as well (since your desktop isn't wireless).

3. Jen423 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would this router then replace the gizmo that I currently have hooked up for my DSL service?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

No, that is your DSL modem. Basically you stick the ethernet cord (the thing that looks like a fat phone cord) from the modem to the router (instead of from the modem to your computer). You can then connect the router to your computer with another ethernet cord. You then follow the instructions for the router to set up the wireless access (differs for each router, I personally use an Airport Extreme Base Station and like but would probably recommend a less expensive router for you).