>1 y.o. MBP and 8 month old battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard.mac, Nov 21, 2007.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

my original battery from my >1 y.o. MBP was replaced in march because it kept shutting off when not charged on AC. The new battery has been fine until now. after 40 cycles the health is down to 50% and it only holds charge for 1.5 hours. this is compared to only a week ago when it had a health of >90% and held charge for 3 hrs. ive tried calibrating the battery and resetting the SMC but the battery health does rise.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html says "A properly maintained Apple notebook battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles".

is this normal? should it be replaced? my MBP has past the warranty but can my 8 month old battery still be replaceD?

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Having had 5 macbooks and a macbook pro this year I have to say I also noticed how bad the batt. was it being a new LED display and all, the batt life was bad and the batt itself went down to quickly and calb. did not help at all, I am now back to the new macbook and very happy

3. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

so do you no if my battery can be replaced by apple if its only 8 months old and my mac is past its warranty? i cannot afford to buy a new macbook pro.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You can buy replacement batteries all you want. I have had my Macbook Pro for three months 32 cycles at 94% health. Call Apple and they may send you a new battery seeing how you may received a bad one.

And no, you will not need to purchase an entirely new Macbook Pro.

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

apple has replaced the battery even though im out of warranty. they said the symptoms qualify for a new batt. so if anyone is experiencing these issues get on the phone to apple right away even if your out of warranty.

6. firesong macrumors member

If you check around forums or Apple's web site, the batteries for Core Duo MB/MBPs are warranted for 2 years, not merely 1.

HTH.

/FS

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant