1 year into AT&T Contract - swap sim to 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARK, Nov 8, 2015.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

Hey, Im 1 year into my contract and Im having "Plus Envy". Can I buy a used 6 Plus (AT&T) and put my sim in it from my current iPhone 6 64GB and have it work just fine?

The earliest I can early upgrade is June.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I was able to get a used 6+ that's in new condition and still has 2 instances of AppleCare+ available. It's coming with no sim of course.

What do I need to do first to start using? Swap my sim into it and turn it on and enter my iCloud info then restore from a backup? This seems all too easy. Surely there is a catch? Will Att know I switched to a Plus and are there any repercussions there? Will it change my eligibility to upgrade in fall of 2016 when my 2-year runs out?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just stick your sim in and it will work. Restore from backup if you like. Yes it is easy, no there is no catch. Its supposed to be easy right:)
    AT&T will know, no there is no repercussions. No it will not change your upgrade eligibility.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Do this - just posting to helpful create more confidence in Applejuiced comments.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Was the previous owner of the phone able to change the AppleCare+ to your name? I think that's the only problem you'll have.

7. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did the exact thing when the S+ came out.

Just do a backup of your current phone, change SIM cards and restore your phone with the backup. I use the cloud for backup also but this is much quicker and more complete. Even my home screen looked the same. You will have to redownload some apps but that will not take long.

Congrats on your new phone.

9. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

We talked about that. He was under the impression it was tied to the serial number. I was thinking it had to be transferred via online or calling AppleCare.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It's tied to the serial. It's probably possible if the serial is still connected to his Apple ID he could ask for a partial refund of AppleCare+ but the warranty is strictly tied to serial number.