1 year old Mac Pro 8-core Vs. New Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fab5freddy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I have a Mac Pro 8-core Quad, that's 1 year old,
    I just wanted to know if it would be a big step up,
    to get the new Mac Pro that just came out ??

thanks !

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. belvdr macrumors 603

From your previous posts, I don't think you'll be using all the power your existing system provides.

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

The benchmarks that users around the forum have done seem to indicate that the 2.66 single quad is slightly slower than the previous model. The jury thinks that the 2.26 dual quad will be more competetive, but will only roll over it in memory intensive tasks. Bare Feats benchmarks are coming within the next few weeks. The smart thing to do would be to wait for them.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This exactly what I'm doing. I always let barefeats do the dirty work for me. Then I decide if it's worth it. You never know the speed differences between the 2.26ghz might not turn out to be that much slower than the 2.66ghz model.

6. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you mean by an "8-core quad". It also depends what you use it for.

I mainly use mine for music production. RAM is probably more critical than proc speed for my usage, and I haven't hit a wall with 10 gigs yet.

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

I'm also curious . . . I have a 2008 mac (8x2.8ghz) with 10GB Ram. To me the i7 seemed like a smart move (since my apple store is allowing me to exchange for the new with a 10% restock fee).

I'd be going from the 8x2.8ghz to the 4x2.66ghz, the DDR3 RAM should be much much faster than the FBDIMM. It's a $250 upgrade, thought it would be worth it.

8. REYNE macrumors newbie

Wait...

I have the exact same setup and would not consider for a second going backwards to a four core machine - Nehalem or not.

Besides, no good having faster memory if you can only have 8GB's of it...