1 year old mini + dust bunnies

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by indg, Jul 29, 2011.

1. indg macrumors 6502

it's been a year since i've physically moved my 2010 mini. unplugged everything and flipped it over to swap the ram and saw a lot of dust buildup around the rim of the bottom circle base toward the back side where the fan is.

upon removing the base cover i saw quite a bit of dust buildup in the back half where the metal grate is. used compressed air to blow everything clean, though in hindsight i probably should have used a dustbuster/vacuum to suck out the dust.

in any case, if you haven't looked at the bottom of your 2010 mini for over a year, now might be a good time to take a look down there. you don't want dust blocking the intake vents. likewise check the rear outtake vent for any dust buildup.

2. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Generally computer towers should be cleaned once every 2 years.

But laptops and compressed mini computers, need to be cleaned out once every year.

Or so is my rule of thumb I recommend. So your fans keep running correctly and to reduce excess heat from the dust.

3. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Might want to cap unused ports too.... or does that trap too much heat?

I appreciate the optical caps on some cables. It's worth protecting those outlets.

4. Tulpa macrumors regular

If a computer is depending on the ports being empty to keep from overheating, that's a serious design problem... :)

5. Snips macrumors regular

I opened up my 2010 Mac mini that had been on constantly since November the other day. It's in a typically dusty home environment, and I was expecting the worst...

Actually I was very pleasantly surprised. A little dust build-up on the fan itself, and on the rear vent, but inside was very clean indeed.

I used to have a PC in the same spot, and that would build up dust on the internals to a gross level ;)

YMMV.