1 year since the macbook update.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orfeas0, May 18, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

As long as I remember, it never took that long to update the white macbook. It was usually updated twice a year. And now 1 year has passed and still no update! When I saw the news about the new macbook air in june/july I realized they are probably dropping the white macbook. Too bad, it was a nice model. I believe they shouldn't drop it, just add sandy bridge to it. Maybe the update will come together with the air.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

They won't drop the Macbook; unless they increased the overall specs of the Airs that wouldn't make any sense. To me, the MB is the staple apple laptop; the one most average consumers buy. It has great battery life, great specs, and can handle pretty much anything people throw at it.

I'm thinking they're going to revise it sometime this year by adding maybe iCore processors and upping the baseline ram (although they might keep the stock at 2/3 gigs).

The Air, while fast and the same price as the stock book, isn't the same "type" of computer and isn't marketed at the same group of people.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. thurstmw macrumors newbie

The 13inch pro has taken so many sales away from the MacBook cause its soo pretty and only slightly more expensive. But they cant really drop the MacBook and still justify calling the MBP 13 a pro...

Im hoping they just go ahead and throw the i5s in there and get it over with. If not I think there will be some major product redesigns and rebranding.

5. RolandVet macrumors member

I'm hoping for some Amd implementations. The expected fastest Ilano is no way fast enough to compare with the i7 but definitely awesome enough for the MB and should have great graphics.(@45W)

And as this forum says: MB consumer (Ilano), MBP prosumer SB.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

6. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

MBP took the sales away because Macbook not been updated for so looooong ...

sad, Macbook air is not a replacement for $999 Macbook.

Apple do something with Macbook and Mac mini, it is sad the apple making ton of profit not addressing the low end market.

7. RolandVet macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm afraid you guys might be right.
    Did this page always say this?
    MacBook Air
    The next generation of MacBooks.

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

8. Laco macrumors 6502

I think the Macbook will be updated. Apple sometimes goes very long without updating some products. The Mac Mini wasn't updated for nearly 2 years at one point.

9. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

yes it is always says so since latest MBA upgrades

next generation MBP also look like MBA but no news on the macbook whether there will be upgrade or discontinuation or price drop ...

10. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

11. thurstmw macrumors newbie

I was more thinking of since they released the 13 inch pro. It has been essentially the same computer but people are willing to pay the premium for the aluminum. White macbooks used to be rampent everywhere but now whenever I look around no one is buying the MacBook but opting for the 13inch pro.

They better keep a 13inch computer at 999 or I will be an angry person, I dont want a dam 11inch screen.

12. JBG87 macrumors member

so now us 2010 owners could start calling the final edition like those that call theirs 2009 model the limited edition :D

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Apple has never addressed the low-end market. It's not their target demographic. A lot of people don't like it, but Apple wants to keep their computers and hardware expensive. It's their business model and it works pretty darn well.

14. Patrick946 macrumors regular

Offering three 13" macbooks and a 11" macbook is quite a bit for the ~1000 market. Apple is all about offering fewer choices, so something's gotta give. I'm betting that the current Macbook will be phased out, and the Air line will drop the Air name to become just Macbooks. The advantages of the plastic Macbook and the Macbook Pro are just improved memory and processor options, and as time goes on those will be less pronounced. Maybe it'll be another year or two, but eventually the 13" Air will be good enough that the 13" Pro will be redundant as well. Eventually they will end up with:

11" Macbook
    13" Macbook
    15" Macbook Pro
    17" Macbook Pro

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Ah, how things go in cycles. FYI, that's their lineup (aside from the 11") from before the 13" MBP in the summer of 2009.

16. complextinction macrumors newbie

Im gonna have to disagree with a few people here and say they wont drop the entry level macbook in favor of the macbook air.

Theres a few reason why.

1. The size. Most entry level laptop buyers, don't want the 11 inch MBA. 11 inches is too small for many. I should know, I'm currently using an Alienware m11x and while it was neat for a while, its become increasingly difficult to work with. They could step up to the 13" MBA but not if it remains at its current price and to be honest, I can't see Apple cutting the price of the MBA a 3rd time.

2. Lack of an optical drive. A good chunk of consumers buying entry level laptops still use CD's and DVD's on a regular basis. I know its a pain sometimes when you have an installation disk or a movie you'd like to watch and you simply have no access to it without a peripheral. It happened to me the other day and luckily I had an old external HDD enclosure that I modified with a DVD rom drive. Its ghetto but its working (sorta). Most consumer, won't do this and also won't buy a peripheral just for that reason.

3. Believe it or not, the slim factor actually bothers some people. The MBA is small and for some its too small. I know when I picked it up, I felt like I was gonna break it. Its like holding a baby. Some people just can't do it because it feels like its so flimsy and they don't want to "hurt" it. I've heard it more than once. It matters a lot to most entry level apple customers, because aesthetics on a mac is usually a large reason why they're interested in one. If they feel like they could scratch or dent it just by looking at it funny, then they're not gonna buy it.

4. Performance. I know they feel "quick" but the bottom line is, they lack raw processing power that most other entry level laptops offer. ULV processors are fine for most computing but anything that puts a decent load on the CPU can bring the computer to a halt. When coupled with low memory it increases the chances of your laptop bogging down with heavy use. My m11x has a ULV with 4 gigs of ram and anything over 300 dpi in photoshop is nearly uneditable.

Now with that said, there are a few reasons why I can see Apple replacing the macbook, but rather than compile a list of those, I'll state the obvious one.

1. Redundancy. With 2 other 13" laptops available at around $1000, its no wonder why people are suspecting Apple to be cutting the entry level macbook out. Similar performance between the MB and 13" MBP has always been confusing, given that the price difference afforded you commodity and not necessity.

Personally I think they should've stuck with the 13" unibody aluminum MB as the only MB, cut out the polycarb, and left the 15" and 17" as the MBP's.

However, I'd also love to see the reviving of the 12" powerbook.

17. RolandVet macrumors member

A year or two until a air will be equal to a pro? Sorry not going to happen, there will also be a need for more power.
    You seem to be someone who works from a user experience pov, but have you ever had a happy user experience on a MBA when trying to handbrake a 1080p movie? A mbp can currently handle it but movie quality is increasing demanding more raw power.

I envision:
    11" MBA
    13" MB
    13"&15"&17" MBP

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

18. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam