1 year warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lankox, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lankox macrumors regular

If I buy a brand new MBP from ebay, how does the 1 year standard warranty work? When does the 1 year begin? Thanks for your help!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

From the day it was originally bought, not the day you get it.

3. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

When you take your mac in for service, do they ask for a receipt to confirm the date or is based off of registration?

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

no they look up the S/N

5. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for all the questions. Does the S/N indicate a manufacture date? If so, what happens if a MBP has been sitting unsold for 2 months and I buy it off of ebay. Do I basically only have 10 months of warranty? (Perhaps this is highly unlikely)

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

serial would be used if the product had never been registered to figure out production date; i believe they would then base the warranty off of this if the product had never been registered (hope that makes some sense)

7. lankox thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense. I've never had a Mac before and I'm excited to get my first one. What would prevent someone from delaying registration until they needed service?

8. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

the S/N is reported to apple as sold on the day you buy it

if you buy one say from Best Buy.. look at your reciept, they have the SN on there

same with Fry's, BB, Apple Store..

registering has nothing to do with it

if you buy from e-bay, then whenever the original person bought it from a real store is the date which the warranty started

9. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i have a friend who bought her iPod to the bar (purchased at Best Buy); she had never registered it so they based her service off of the production date-- maybe things have changed, but that was my experience.