Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rutroh50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
my yr old 27" iMac has a full left side dark dimming on the screen....seems to get better if I press the screen bottom..for only a while...anyone else have this issue?

leo69

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, my mid 2011 27inch went exactly the same a couple of months ago. The screen started to flicker for a couple of weeks and then got worse until the whole left half of the screen was virtually black.

Took it to the apple store and they immediately confirmed the LCD panel had gone and replaced it under warranty £420.00 I think it was so lucky I didn't have to pay for it but think its pretty poor to get such big failures so quickly after purchase but maybe I was just unlucky but plenty of similar stories online so not exactly a rare fault.

rutroh50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I got a call back today from an apple rep and they are going to replace my display for free even though the warranty is past the year...I am happy.....just have to drop computer off and pick up 2 days later.....my faith in Apple is restored....

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yeah, my mid 2011 27inch went exactly the same a couple of months ago. The screen started to flicker for a couple of weeks and then got worse until the whole left half of the screen was virtually black.

Took it to the apple store and they immediately confirmed the LCD panel had gone and replaced it under warranty £420.00 I think it was so lucky I didn't have to pay for it but think its pretty poor to get such big failures so quickly after purchase but maybe I was just unlucky but plenty of similar stories online so not exactly a rare fault.
When looking at reviews and online complaints you have to remember people are more likely to post about issues than "Hey my system is running fine."

I am not saying you should ignore negative reviews. Rather you should keep in mind that issues about products will get posted about quickly. I've also seen someone post a review with a major issue and still give the product 5 stars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.