1 yr old Mac Pro DEAD... please help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jsquared90, May 29, 2008.

1. jsquared90 macrumors newbie

So I have a Mac Pro that is 1 yr old that suffered cosmetic damage in a shipment 8 months ago. Although the chassis suffered damage, the computer has functioned just fine for me over the last 8 months. After waiting 8 months to find a good deal on eBay, I finally was able to obtain a replacement chassis. So then began the transfer of Mac guts from one metal container to the next. I'm quite anal-retentive, and feel confident that I re-assembled every screw where it was, every molex connector to where ii was connected, etc.... but get absolutely nada when pressing the power button...... it's actually very scary! The only form of life I even come across is a very very faint tick (approximately in 1 sec intervals) from the PSU whenever the power cable is inserted. You can only hear it if you have your ear right up to the thing. Is there anyone out there that has any pointers/direction on where to even start troubleshooting. I have a meter all ready to go, but don't know even where to start. I am seriously hoping it's something simple in the wiring pathway from the push button..... yikes! pray for me!

2. jsquared90 thread starter macrumors newbie

answered my own post

So to answer my own post.... I must had something not fully seated. I disassembled everything and re-seated all the connections, and now everything is hunky dory. So learn from me and double check all your seating before starting a ridiculous, unnecessary thread on a forum.:)

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Don't worry about starting this thread, I can only imagine what you felt. Who knows maybe someone will learn from your experience and because of this post.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

how come your case didnt get replaced under warranty and you had to buy a new one?

5. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

well he said it was damaged during shipment. But yea. I am sure apple would have replaced it if was new. If you bought the original computer off ebay. Then you should have contact the shipping company, something like that I am sure the seller included insurance. If he didn't, I would still call and demand a refund. Who knows, he could have dropped before he put it in the box.

But I am glad to see you have your Mac Pro working.

~Steven

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you do the math he has a 12 month old mac pro and it was damaged during shipment 8 months back. Somewhere between the first and fourth month someone shipped said mac pro and my guess was it wasn't Apple. If it was, if the OP had to ship it to Apple for repair then it makes sense. Otherwise, it sounds like it was shipped for some reason and damaged.

On a side note, glad you got everything working.

7. jsquared90 thread starter macrumors newbie

tear jerker

Actually, the story is a bit of a tear jerker. I rented the system to (whom I thought) was a trusted soul for an on site edit gig he was doing. I shipped the unit to him using insured Fed Ex. It got to him just fine.... when he shipped it back to me, he didn't insure it, and Fed Ex damaged it. To make matters worse, I was out of town when it returned, so someone else at the place I was renting office space at, signed for the package but didn't check if it was damaged. Because the signee didn't inspect the package at drop off, Fed Ex considered themselves off the hook. For obvious reasons, Apple wasn't going to honor the warranty. And this person whom I confided trust in felt it wasn't his responsibility as well. My only mistake was, the casing I elected to purchase for the Mac Pro was poor in design (in retrospect). So is there is any lesson to be learned.... use this style of casing if you want to ship your Mac Pro regularly:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-g5-1640.htm

That is what I use now. :)

8. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Love Pelican Cases. My stepdad uses them and I am getting one for my camera gear. They are really tough, but the guys at the airport still tend to break them. Pelican will replace/repair it.

~Steven

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Better still never let anyone else use your mac. You're not a charity. Sure you'd like to help out a friend but to actually go to the effort of boxing your Pro up and sending it off goes beyond the call of duty imo. I only just about let my family use my computer. Even then it's under supervision.

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

For years (really...like 20 years) I used cases like these:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/brand-leaf.aspx?brandid=598&categoryID=330&page=3

to transport computers, printers, and other electronic equipment in cars, trucks, planes. This was for a business in which when the equipment arrived, it had to work within a few minutes of being unpacked, no excuses.

Most recently I shipped a G5 in one of the 24 x 24 x 17 cases, FedEx Ground upstate NY to Hawaii. No problem. Before you ask, yes you can do FedEx Ground to Hawaii -- it travels ground to the west coast, then flies.

Pelican cases are great and I've used them (including some big ones) too, but these are much lighter for the equivalent size. Also they can be locked effectively, while some of the Pelicans cannot -- that is, you figure that you've locked it, but a thief with a little saw can easily saw around the padlock and open the case. I speak from experience here. But the locking part of the Jensen cases is all-metal and therefore harder for a casual thief to crack.

There may be other sources than Jensen (now a part of Stanley), but over the years they're the only one I've used.

Note that the image is the same for every case. You have to go by the dimensions.

11. supercooled macrumors 6502a

The macabre side of me wants to see what a mangled case looks like. Those things are built like tanks. The worse is probably a few scratches but I wonder how much abuse it would take to actually bend/break the handles off.

12. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Wow. My heart skipped a beat there for a second. I can only imagine the horror of putting the machine back together and finding out that I ESD'd the logic board. Yikes! I'd probably kill myself if I broke my Mac Pro. Anyway, that sucks that you got screwed, but good that it worked out in the end. Do you have pics of the old tower? I'm also curious to see the damage that it sustained.

Believe it or not, you'd probably get a decent amount of money on eBay for the broken tower. People will buy anything. Especially if it has an Apple logo on it. I can think of a few good uses for the side door alone.

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

those cases are very nice but they're a bit expensive aren't they? I mean how often do you have to be sending your mac pro around the world?

14. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Some of us are but I thank our wonderful founding fathers for the Second Amendment so at least I can defend myself against them. The poor Brits lost their'...right to keep and bear arms' a few years ago because of some crazy Englishman in Dunblaine. Now a farmer can't even defend his home from thieves without being thrown in jail and being sued by said thieves.
    I'll get off my soap box now and apologize for hijacking the OPs thread. :)
    Alan

15. nastebu macrumors 6502

Jesus, I pity the neighbors if you're defending your home from thieves with one of those... more like defending your home from an attack by the 86th Airborne.

16. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

guns have one purpose - to kill. Not to 'defend'.

17. Roy macrumors 6502

True, but the gun defends a person from being killed.

18. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Looks in gun case. Yep, Yep. We're defended.

Check +

~Steven

Second: I want to see the pics of your old Mac Pro case.

19. jsquared90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how my thread turned into a gun control debate....... but very amusing nonetheless. And for all of you who wanted to see the damage.... and yes the cat now thinks it's her home:

http://www.box.net/shared/l0xza9zwg0

20. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Indeed the cases are expensive, but they can last a long time. When I was in business I used them 30-50 times a year, so on a per-use basis they were inexpensive. I wouldn't have bought one just to ship the G5 once, but since I have a small handful of them in my barn, why not use one of them for the G5?