10.1.1 Broke my Mail & Google Accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coachingguy, Nov 23, 2014.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I updated to 10.1.1 and the gmail accounts I had entered in Mail for years, suddenly stopped working. I kept getting the "Internet Accounts can't connect to account XXX, please enter password" So I read online some solutions, back up my MBP, and deleted the offending accounts. I reentered my personal gmail account and got that set up, and it works...

However, my work account is a Google Account, but don't end in gmail.com , no matter how I set it up, it can't connect no matter how many times I enter the info... "Mail can't connect" and "Internet Accounts can't connect"

Anybody have a solution? I don't want to be resigned to web based mail, I've got Mail set up the way I want and until 10.1.1 it worked great.

Looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks!

Coachingguy

2. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

I don't know if this might help.

For what it is worth I have been having the problem of receiving but not being able to send mail on my Mac in Yosemite since 10.10.1.

I found the reason was that the (stupid) tick box saying auto detect settings on Imap and SMTP was altering my ISP's port settings.

Unticking the two boxes solved my problem.

So mail>preferences>advanced - set correct IMAP port number and uncheck automatic detect settings AND mail>preferences>SMTP - open server list and uncheck automatic detect settings and set correct port number.

Save changes and close mail, reopen and the correct setting you put in should still be there.

I have no idea why Apple would think that they knew the best port settings for my set up but since unchecking the boxes I have had no further trouble.

It would help if you found the correct port settings from your ISP before trying this.

Hope this helps.

3. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Maybe a later operating system would work. But if you're on a machine that can't go beyond 10.1, you could at least update it to 10.1.5. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1226