Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I was about to shop for new 10.1 android tablet to replace my 8" LG tablet but I don't see many popular brand name tablets except for Samsung still have 10.1 but I don't like Samsung sorry. I don't like odd brand name either so I assumed they are leaving android tablet business already?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was about to shop for new 10.1 android tablet to replace my 8" LG tablet but I don't see many popular brand name tablets except for Samsung still have 10.1 but I don't like Samsung sorry. I don't like odd brand name either so I assumed they are leaving android tablet business already?

I would say five or six years ago, there was a majority of tablet manufactures that had an array of android tablets available, but they have slowly faded due to how smart phones have expanded on what those tablets could do and the tablet market hit a slump. The iPad and a Surface Pro were the only real competitors on the market. Samsung still makes nice Tablet, but they don't compete on the level as the iPad or Surface Pro, which likely includes sales as well.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm still holding out hope for a Pixel-C refresh this year. I prefer the 10" size and my Samsung is getting long in the tooth. None of the current offerings feature the storage capacity, screen resolution and update cadence I would like to see.

• The ONLY one that will offer the updates, capacity and screen resolution is a new Pixel-C (current model is likely to end with O as it'll be 2 years old this Fall).
  • the Lenovo Yoga Book with the "virtual" keyboard is enticing as it has storage and screen resolution but the updates are not happening
  • the current Samsung crop is lacking in the update cadence and storage capacity.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
The Samsung galaxy tab S range of tablets are excellent, they were introduced when Samsung brought out the edge models. The quality is excellent. With the screens still being probably the best on the market. Don't let any preconceived ideas put you off..

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The tablet market basically belongs to Apple, Samsung and Microsoft now.

Samsung may be your best bet for an Android tablet.

Maybe Sony still has their Xperia tablets going also great devices but not cheap they are close to Ipad Pro prices

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
The tablet market basically belongs to Apple, Samsung and Microsoft now.

Samsung may be your best bet for an Android tablet.

Maybe Sony still has their Xperia tablets going also great devices but not cheap they are close to Ipad Pro prices

But which Samsung tablet will have future OS update?

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
But which Samsung tablet will have future OS update?
Don't be bogged down by this mythical OS update Apple led propaganda. A lot of key OS parts are updated thru the play store. I have an original tab s. It's on Android 6.0 , works like a charm, very fast, slick and considering my usage movies, youtube and surfing does what I need when I need. If it never got another update again, I can't see what I'm missing out on.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Don't be bogged down by this mythical OS update Apple led propaganda. A lot of key OS parts are updated thru the play store. I have an original tab s. It's on Android 6.0 , works like a charm, very fast, slick and considering my usage movies, youtube and surfing does what I need when I need. If it never got another update again, I can't see what I'm missing out on.

It's not just the "mythical OS update.." The bigger issue for me is the lack of the monthly security patches that Google releases. These are for the core OS, not for the standard apps packaged. With monthly security patches, issues like the Backstage situation can be patched relatively quickly. However, Samsung has yet to show an ability to even deliver THOSE in a timely manner, especially on a tablet. These days, if you buy a tablet from pretty much ANY OEM you better be happy with the software as it's delivered since you likely won't see any updates and you better hope there are no major security holes found as those also likely won't be patched.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Security updates, performance improvements, battery life improvements, any new API for newer and better multitasking features.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Yeah, it's the Apple Reality Distortion Field that leads people to believe they want their devices updated with the latest OS versions and security patches.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Security updates, performance improvements, battery life improvements, any new API for newer and better multitasking features.
Performance updates? How many ios updates have bricked devices.. my tab S is as slick today as it was 2 years ago. I would have no hesitation getting another galaxy tab model down the line. But as this ok new is going strong that's not gonna be for some time..

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Performance updates? How many ios updates have bricked devices.. my tab S is as slick today as it was 2 years ago. I would have no hesitation getting another galaxy tab model down the line. But as this ok new is going strong that's not gonna be for some time..

Very few have actually bricked devices. But that’s just you coming up with an excuse for why it’s okay for Samsung to not support a product of theirs.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Very few have actually bricked devices. But that’s just you coming up with an excuse for why it’s okay for Samsung to not support a product of theirs.
It took a while, but my Galaxy Tab S2 got Android 7.0 and it has received quite a few security updates. Will it get another OS update though? I doubt it. The tablet is a couple years old and the tab S3 is already out.

That said, when it comes to OS updates, it's a well documented fact that Apple 1st releases of an OS are full of issues. I stopped downloading on the 1st day of an iOS release. I wait a week until Apple sorts all the bugs and re-releases.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It took a while, but my Galaxy Tab S2 got Android 7.0 and it has received quite a few security updates. Will it get another OS update though? I doubt it. The tablet is a couple years old and the tab S3 is already out.

That said, when it comes to OS updates, it's a well documented fact that Apple 1st releases of an OS are full of issues. I stopped downloading on the 1st day of an iOS release. I wait a week until Apple sorts all the bugs and re-releases.

Would you accept your laptop only getting 2-3 years of updates?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Yeah I'd be curious to see a full accounting of updates that have bricked devices.

On a side note, since owning the S8 there's been updates pretty often. Probably the most I've ever experienced with a Samsung device tied to a carrier.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I'd be curious to see a full accounting of updates that have bricked devices.

On a side note, since owning the S8 there's been updates pretty often. Probably the most I've ever experienced with a Samsung device tied to a carrier.

Samsung is good with phones. I just wish they’d be that good with tablets.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tablets are disposable and run a mobile OS. Laptops aren't. Tablets cost between $125 and $800, while laptops typically start at $800 and can jump to $5000 or more. You are comparing apples to oranges.

My sisters laptop cost roughly 600 and a high end table costs roughly the same. It isn’t apples and oranges.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-9-7-Inch-Tablet-SM-T820NZSAXAR/dp/B01MRDL916

Tab S3 is 500$. That isn’t a disposable amount of money to a lot of people. That might not even be what they spend on a laptop.

So you accept that some devices got bricked, thanks for confirming that for me... OS updates arent the be all and end all..

No, I didn’t say that. What I said is that you shouldn’t settle for bad support. What I mean is that .0000001% of users having to reset their device is better than malware being spread because of no security patches or 100% of users not getting great support because of what might happen maybe. OS updates are important.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.