10.10.2 Firmware update.

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by jbarley, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This auto firmware update I keep reading about, is it necessary, and should I allow it or not.
    It must serve some purpose or why would Apple be foisting it on us.

My system is quite usable under 10.10.1, and as much as I like to keep up to date I'd hate to break something.

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

10.10.2 is actually a future OS update, not a firmware update. It is also currently in beta, so for that reason I would not recommend updating your Mac to it.

Once it is officially released, I would recommend at that point to update your Mac; these updates generally contain bug fixes and sometimes security fixes for your Mac that will help it run better.

3. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

4. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Thank you for reading and understanding my question.
    But the question still remains, why are people dodging this firmware update, is it not good for our systems?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, if my computer is working well and is stable, why apply an update?

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've just updated my new 13" 2014 rMBP with the developer seed (14C81f) via MAS, from 10.10.1

I took a note of the Boot ROM and SMC ROM versions prior to the update, and they are the same after the update. So I assume my machine didn't need any FW update.

7. DJEmergency macrumors regular

What is the information about these firmware updates? What do they fix?

8. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

The thing about betas is that provided you make backups before updating, it is easy to downgrade when things go bad.

It is not so easy to downgrade firmware though.

So what I did in the other thread was to provide a means of running the beta without the firmware update.

It is therefore a choice you can make now. Do you want to run the beta with or without the firmware update?

Apple simply did not give you that choice. I did though.

9. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Good answer, even I understand now...:)

10. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Oh my bad, sorry about that! I tried googling for anything related to a firmware update with the beta, I didn't come across anything. I should've looked again :eek:

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

That might have worked 20 years ago but in today's world you can't live like this. Updates usually contain bug fixes and security patches that only help you. Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there.

The Windows XP folks found that out the hard way...

-P

12. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I'm confused

why anyone who isn't a beta tester is even thinking about 10.10.2? It hasn't been released beyond the beta to registered testers.

Take a chill pill then wait a week after it's released to the public to see if there are any problems. It's easy to figure out if you don't try to over think the situation.